Primary products easy to sell?

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
markyears
Level 2 user

Primary products easy to sell?

Post by markyears »

Hey, I am a newbie in this game :mrgreen: After a few games, I find out an interesting phenomenon: at the beginning of the game, usually very "primary" products like meat, milk, eggs have very low quality by local retailers, usually negative rating. This means it is easier for plays to sell these products. Products like computers or cars have very high rating.

Am I right? If so, what is the implication of this? So we are encouraged to start from very basic product? :mrgreen: I'm very curious about the philosophy behind this (If I'm making sense).
Njeroe
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Re: Primary products easy to sell?

Post by Njeroe »

You can set the import quality in the settings when starting a new game. All products from the Seaports will have a quality that is based on that setting. Setting it to high will provide high quality products and resources. I have not noticed natural resources starting at low quality and imports at high. I do not know if natural resources get affected at all by the settings.

Farms will produce low quality products starting at 30 and going up over time as the level increases you can't influence that yourself except to wait. Natural resources spawn and get a value and you can't change that. These primary ingredients get used in other products and you can influence the quality using R&D. Quality is only one of the ratings used to determine if it sells others being price and brand, each product uses different percentage in each city to determine the overall rating this is the most important figure ofcourse in the end. You are encouraged to use R&D and manufacturing to provide the best rating you can get to sell at the highest possible price without tanking the overall rating. Bigger profit margins is the main goal usually.
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Re: Primary products easy to sell?

Post by bdubbs »

markyears wrote:Hey, I am a newbie in this game :mrgreen: After a few games, I find out an interesting phenomenon: at the beginning of the game, usually very "primary" products like meat, milk, eggs have very low quality by local retailers, usually negative rating. This means it is easier for plays to sell these products. Products like computers or cars have very high rating.

Am I right? If so, what is the implication of this? So we are encouraged to start from very basic product? :mrgreen: I'm very curious about the philosophy behind this (If I'm making sense).

I think what you're saying is you've noticed animal products tend to have a very low city overall rating in your retail stores at the beginning of the game, which does hold true in almost any game, whereas computers typically start with a much higher city overall rating than what you're selling if you try to retail computers from a seaport. This isn't the game trying to dictate your play style, but as a rule of thumb this holds true.

You'll typically find the highest profit seaport goods at the beginning of a game are animal products, food, snacks, beverages, sporting goods, and furniture. In low real wage rate cities where brand is a little less important other products like apparel, leather goods, and footwear can also be pretty profitable retailing from the seaport early on

Products that are usually less profitable are appliances, computers, and cosmetics, especially in high RWR cities. Basically the more important brand is for a specific product the less profitable it is to retail from the seaport, and the more wealthy the city is the worse because the more important brand rating will be, and the higher the local competition's brand rating will be.

I'm really over simplifying here, but I hope it gives you something to go on