Full screen error

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
Jason

Full screen error

Post by Jason »

I just downloaded the capitalism 2 lab beta. I am running windows 8 pro. I started up the game just fine in windowed mode(it automatically did that one) but when i tried to change to 1920x1080(my laptops native res) it gave the following error on a black screen: "SetMode failed (DDERR_UNSUPOORTED) width: 1920 height: 1080 is_disp_mode_supported: 1"

I tried looking in the troubleshooting FAQ and tried the "FULLSCR.SYS" without success. Now i cannot even switch it back to windowed mode so I can at least play it. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling it starts up in fullscreen 1080p and does the same error.
Esoteric Rogue
Level 6 user

Re: Full screen error

Post by Esoteric Rogue »

Jason wrote:Now i cannot even switch it back to windowed mode so I can at least play it. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling it starts up in fullscreen 1080p and does the same error.
I believe delete My Documents\My Games\Capitalism Lab\CONFIG.DAT will put it back to default.

Edit: and latest version 1.991 is at http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =10&t=1045
haplo
Level 2 user

Post by haplo »

I have the same problem with using version 2.0.01
The only diference is after the error the programm starts again in windows mode.
BUt doesn't matter with resolution i choose, when i go to full screen it crashes with mentioned error code.
I used capitalism lab befor on a windows vista maschine with 1280 X 800 px and there it works.
I thinks its a windows 8 or a wide screen problem...

Jason wrote:I just downloaded the capitalism 2 lab beta. I am running windows 8 pro. I started up the game just fine in windowed mode(it automatically did that one) but when i tried to change to 1920x1080(my laptops native res) it gave the following error on a black screen: "SetMode failed (DDERR_UNSUPOORTED) width: 1920 height: 1080 is_disp_mode_supported: 1"

I tried looking in the troubleshooting FAQ and tried the "FULLSCR.SYS" without success. Now i cannot even switch it back to windowed mode so I can at least play it. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling it starts up in fullscreen 1080p and does the same error.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Please send us your computer configuration file DxDiag.txt for investigation. You may produce the DxDiag.txt file by running the Command prompt from the Windows Start menu, then type “DxDiag” on the Command prompt.

When the DxDiag window is opened, click on the “Save All Information” button at the center bottom of the window. Then send over this file as an email attachment to info@enlight.com
haplo
Level 2 user

Post by haplo »

Hello David,

the problem is solved.

Using windows 8 i just forgot to run the programm in administrator mode.
Doing this the error doesn't appear.

Best regards
RafaelF82

Post by RafaelF82 »

I too can't switch from fullscreen to windowed.

Tried deleting the config file and tried setting capmain.exe and capstart.exe to run as administrator.

Go in game, change to windowed, screen flicks a few times and comes back to fullscreen.

It's a dell notebook with 2 gpus(intel and nvidia gt 540m), 1366x768 native resolution.

Win 7 pro.
c_for

Post by c_for »

Running in admin mode did not work for me. But I have managed to make it work. My guess is that most of you experiencing this are on a monitor with a different resolution than the game options.

I'm on windows 10. I freshly updated my graphics drivers, and my direct x was already up to date. It still didn't work.

Then I did the following which made it work:
-Right click on the program(or link) and select "Properties"
-Go to the "Compatibility" tab
-Turn on "Override high DPI scaling behavior"
-Choose "System" in the associated dropdown menu
-Play the game

I'm playing no problem now. I played Capitalism 2 back in the day and loved it. Last night I was looking for modern economy/management games and came across Capitalism Lab. Thanks for keeping the game running. My wine/tobacco store empire is thriving thanks to you.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

-Choose "System" in the associated dropdown menu
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you see the "System" option you mentioned on the Compatibility page, as I don't see it there on my computer (please see the attached screenshot.)
Attachments
compatibility.jpg
compatibility.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
c_for

Post by c_for »

Mine looks more like this:
https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/up ... NlE311.png

System made the most sense so that is what I went with. I didn't try any of the other settings in the drop down.

Does it work when you select "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"?