Issue - Upgrade to 4.4.31

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
rmpcaplab

Issue - Upgrade to 4.4.31

Post by rmpcaplab »

Received email notification of 4.4.31 + 5 Scenarios.

1. I (probably incorrectly) used the "Lab Installer + 5 new scenarios" download. I already had the game installed (4.4.20 version). I think I should have just used the "Lab Patch + 5" installer option.
2. After running the install option download (as per #1 above)...the game appeared to properly upgrade to Version 4.4.31. Starting the game....the Main Menu showed "Version 4.4.31.

However, despite the game opening correctly to the Main Menu, attempts to begin a new game (ie: custom, scenario, etc) allows me to proceed through to the selected options, etc.; BUT, once I select "Begin", the following error messages appear:

a) "Error creating file [C:\users\owner\documents\my games\CapitalismLabs\Config.dat] on harddisk".
b) "Error on file: iilib\file.cpp line: 291".

Note 1: I've looked but cannot find any "Config.dat" file anywhere for the game.
Note 2: Initially, upon repeatedly receiving the Error messages ( "a" , "b" above), I did Uninstall the game......then ran the original 4.4.20 installer.....then the 4.4.31 Lab Patch + 5 installer. But, I'm still getting the same Error messages.

Any recommendations for me to follow in order to get the game installed again properly?

Thank you,

Bob
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Issue - Upgrade to 4.4.31

Post by David »

Are you using any anti-virus software that runs in background? If so, there is a possibility that the firewall of such anti-virus software may block the game’s communication with the game server. You may check your anti-virus software’s user manual for how to add Capitalism Lab to one of its approved app to prevent it from being blocked by the firewall.

For example, if you are using Avast, you can add Capitalism Lab’s EXE files “CapStart.exe” and “CapMain.exe” into Avast’s exception list to prevent it from blocking the game.
rmpcaplab

Post by rmpcaplab »

Thanks for response...

I run Bitdefender and have had it installed since Sep '16. I purchased Capitalism Lab in June 2017 (Version 4.4.20) and the game was running fine as of earlier last week with Bitdefender running and not using its "Exclude Files" for the "exe" (as you mentioned).

However, yesterday (as a result of my problem) I did go into Bitdefender and add the Capitalism Lab folders and "exe" to the "Exclude" options. This has not resolved the problem at hand.

Bob
David

Post by David »

For some reasons, the Windows system does not allow the game to write files to your harddisk.

I would suggest reinstalling the game or try installing the post-release beta version, which can be downloaded at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4246
rmpcaplab

Post by rmpcaplab »

As mentioned in my original post I did already try uninstalling the game, then reinstalling; but, issue remains.

I will try your suggestion of installing Post Release Beta Version.
rmpcaplab

Post by rmpcaplab »

OK, the Post Release Beta Version installed and is running fine.

When I went into Bitdefender to ID this newer BETA install .exe as an "Exclude" file, I noticed that the toggle for the prior 4.4.31 install was set to "off" (instead of "on"). So, it was probably this setting in Bit Defender that caused the original problem.....I hadn't gone back to check its status until just now.

One further question:

Any reason that I should revert back to 4.4.31? Or, is just my personal choice relative to the "Beta" status?

Thanks for your prompt attention.

Bob
David

Post by David »

Any reason that I should revert back to 4.4.31? Or, is just my personal choice relative to the "Beta" status?
Actually the beta version is installed in a different folder than the release version so you can have both versions installed at the same time.

Now that you have found out the issue with the setting in BitDefender, you may reinstall v4.4.31, as in general release versions are more stable than beta versions whereas beta versions have the latest improvements. And you could choose which version to run when they are both available on your computer.

Post by 3012484 »

Just experienced this issue with 7.0.1 and posting a solution for all experiencing the same:

Situation
  • Capitalism Lab installer (Release and Beta) fails to create Capitalism Lab subfolder under Documents\My Games
  • Even if install seems successful, you will CTD when changing screen resolution *OR
  • will experience an "Error creating file [C:\users\owner\documents\my games\CapitalismLabs\Config.dat] on harddisk" when starting a new game

Quick explanation
  • Capitalism Lab tries to write into / create the My Games subfolders *imperatively under the Documents folder
  • If you remapped your windows document folder to another folder (i.e. OneDrive), the installer will fail to create its required subfolders and the game will be unable to write CONFIG.DAT as the location doesn't exist

Solution
  • Simply create an actual Documents folder in your username folder
  • If you really want to keep your mapping, edit the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders => Personal and replace "OneDrive" for "Documents" in the path; reboot.
  • Install the game; Capitalism Lab subfolder will appear in My Games in the new document folder
  • Re-edit the registry key to revert your mapping of Documents back to "OneDrive" to keep your original settings
  • Your My Games\Capitalism Lab folder will be under your user folders and will *not appear in your OneDrive
Hope it helps
David

Post by David »

3012484 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:40 am Just experienced this issue with 7.0.1 and posting a solution for all experiencing the same:

Situation
  • Capitalism Lab installer (Release and Beta) fails to create Capitalism Lab subfolder under Documents\My Games
  • Even if install seems successful, you will CTD when changing screen resolution *OR
  • will experience an "Error creating file [C:\users\owner\documents\my games\CapitalismLabs\Config.dat] on harddisk" when starting a new game

Quick explanation
  • Capitalism Lab tries to write into / create the My Games subfolders *imperatively under the Documents folder
  • If you remapped your windows document folder to another folder (i.e. OneDrive), the installer will fail to create its required subfolders and the game will be unable to write CONFIG.DAT as the location doesn't exist

Solution
  • Simply create an actual Documents folder in your username folder
  • If you really want to keep your mapping, edit the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders => Personal and replace "OneDrive" for "Documents" in the path; reboot.
  • Install the game; Capitalism Lab subfolder will appear in My Games in the new document folder
  • Re-edit the registry key to revert your mapping of Documents back to "OneDrive" to keep your original settings
  • Your My Games\Capitalism Lab folder will be under your user folders and will *not appear in your OneDrive
Hope it helps
Thank you for posting the solution.

I've asked the programmer if it would be possible to modify the system so that it could automatically detect the presence of OneDrive. I was told that the game already has code in place for doing so but it obviously did not succeed in detecting the presence of OneDrive in your computer.

The programmer has added some special code to the latest version v7.1.03 which will output a text file called "filepath.txt" in the program folder of CapLab if OneDrive is being used.

Please download the patch v7.1.03 from https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10 and run the game with OneDrive enabled. When it has output the filepath.txt, please send the file to us. I will then forward it to the programmer. This piece of info will help him to improve the game's ability to work with OneDrive.

Thanks