No option to change installation drive

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
Rusty Gamer
Level 2 user

No option to change installation drive

Post by Rusty Gamer »

I recently got an SSD drive for booting the OS, my new drive C, but it is only 32GB and so I want to install the game on my drive D, which is 2TB (use to be my boot drive). Unfortunately, the game installs automatically onto drive C without any option to change it. Is there a way to fix this?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: No option to change installation drive

Post by David »

You may simply copy the entire folder from your drive C to your drive D and run the game from there after that.
Rusty Gamer
Level 2 user

Post by Rusty Gamer »

What about any registry pointers?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Rusty Gamer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:32 am What about any registry pointers?
Registry pointers do not store the path of the game EXE actually, so it doesn't matter.
Gray_Lensman
Level 2 user

Post by Gray_Lensman »

David wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 am
Rusty Gamer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:32 am What about any registry pointers?
Registry pointers do not store the path of the game EXE actually, so it doesn't matter.
It does matter when it comes to the uninstall process.
jbvisual
Level 4 user

Post by jbvisual »

Just run the uninstall from the cap folder and you don't have any problems.

Here’s a different procedure that worked perfectly for me.

1 - Create a *.bat file in the same folder of your *.exe installation file.
2 - Edit the *.bat file with the following line:

Capitalism_Lab_Installer.exe TARGETDIR/INSTALLDIR=”E:\Program Files\folder_name” (you can change the "E:\" to any drive letter)

3 - Run the *.bat file
Gray_Lensman
Level 2 user

Post by Gray_Lensman »

jbvisual wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 am Just run the uninstall from the cap folder and you don't have any problems.

Capitalism_Lab_Installer.exe TARGETDIR/INSTALLDIR=”E:\Program Files\folder_name” (you can change the "E:\" to any drive letter)

3 - Run the *.bat file
Though I could do all that, it just proves the point that the installation could be so much simpler to install/uninstall if the program followed the same installation convention of 99.9% of ALL other Windows setup programs. Even Steam has accommodations for users that want to install their DRM programs in different locations. The only plus I can give the Cap Lab installation is that it doesn't force itself into C:\Program Files\... (one of Microsoft's NOT so brilliant ideas)
jbvisual
Level 4 user

Post by jbvisual »

Gray_Lensman wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 pm
jbvisual wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 am Just run the uninstall from the cap folder and you don't have any problems.

3 - Run the *.bat file
Though I could do all that, it just proves the point that the installation could be so much simpler to install/uninstall if the program followed the same installation convention of 99.9% of ALL other Windows setup programs. Even Steam has accommodations for users that want to install their DRM programs in different locations. The only plus I can give the Cap Lab installation is that it doesn't force itself into C:\Program Files\... (one of Microsoft's NOT so brilliant ideas)
So just create the BAT file, the native installation directory is changed this way and the registry pointers are correctly written.
Yes it's true that a another kind of installer would be nice, But the Dev team is currently active with fixing more important issue's (like bugs)
Gray_Lensman
Level 2 user

Post by Gray_Lensman »

jbvisual wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:51 pm
So just create the BAT file, the native installation directory is changed this way and the registry pointers are correctly written.
Yes it's true that a another kind of installer would be nice, But the Dev team is currently active with fixing more important issue's (like bugs)
It takes about an hour to setup a windows installer for a new game. If that takes away from "important issues (like bugs)", then they really aren't devoting much time for bug hunting. (but I seriously doubt that's their reason).

It could be MS Window's installer might cost too much, so the developers could use the free "Inno installer" available on the web. I've used it before and like I said, it takes about an hour to set up.

edit> FWIW, This business simulator is fantastic, it just baffles me that for all the programming effort they put into making it meld together with user mods and all, they saddle the end user with such a default (non moddable) installer setup.