Poll: Selling technology must be done differently

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here

Selling technology must be done differently

This will be a good idea
80%
This main idea is good, but it needs another approach
20%
No changes are needed, it's already good as how it is.
No votes

Total votes: 5

jbvisual
Level 4 user

Poll: Selling technology must be done differently

Post by jbvisual »

In the current version of the game it is possible to sell your tech level to another company.
In the real world, this almost never happens. (just selling tech)

If you want to be an company that focus on tech only (become an patent troll :P)

So in my opinion it will be a great to implant a system to not only sell your current tech level,
but also set an subscription model for it.

Let's say, if i own a company making milk, and for milk i need glass.
So i invest in glass tech. and become market leaser in "glass"

After a few years, another company sells "electronic components" and you want to produce tv's.
Oow but wait.... another company already sells TV's and nobody want's your outdated tv's.
Only if you sell your product for a lower price, and so making less profit in the tv market.
less profit = less money to invest in R&D and the story will repeat itself again and again and again.

So it will be good to see 2 tech levels in the future:
Currect tech level (your own or a rented tech level, the higest level is shown here)
your tech level (the tech level currently known to you)

Because you now rent a technology, your make also high-tech products and your sales will improve,
and now you have the money to improve your own tech level. So in the future you don't have to rent anymore.
(or just leave it and always just rent the technolegy)

when you researching an technology, you will use your own tech level as starting point,
The rented tech is not available in your own R&D centers.

So 3 options for acquire or selling tech are needed:
1. Sell/Buy your tech permanently to/from another company
2. Sell/Buy your tech to/from another company, but the sell-company
3. Lease the tech for an xxx period and receive a xxx amount of cash every year (and maybe get an penalty if you cancel the contract, the penalty will be the same as xxx years of the lease contract price)
chengtsai
Level 4 user

Re: Poll: Selling technology must be done differently

Post by chengtsai »

I propose to use an AUCTION system to sell the technology to the highest bidder.
That is the way in the real world works as well.
Best technology sells to the highest bidder who is willing to pay for the price to obtain it.
Develop an AUCTION framework should be very interesting.
Njeroe
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Post by Njeroe »

I think the word you're looking for is technology licensing, that basically is what you describe. You are paying a license fee for each unit made using a specific technology, sometimes this is a percentage other times it can be an absolute number for each product sold. I agree that selling technology isn't usually how it's done in the real world. One way to go about this is to use some kind of patent system where you can develop certain technologies which unlocks new products and you as the owner of the patent get money from the producers of that product, this would be very powerful with a limited set of products however so should be wary how this works.
mrgarrettscott
Level 4 user

Post by mrgarrettscott »

I like the idea. I think the problem is that nothing is proprietary in the game. Research makes your product better than the competitor's It doesn't allow you to own or patent the product. Hell, I think selling technology is ridiculous as it defeats the purpose of having to do research. I never sell my technology. Why would I let you pay me $10 million to pull even with me? Conversely, when I'm swimming in cash, $10-20 million is a drop in the bucket that I'll offer for a technology and the A.I., will usually accept.