Markets

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
Marc420

Markets

Post by Marc420 »

Its always seemed that one of the things that's a bit odd about this system is finding raw materials. You have to either find another company in the game or a seaport that is importing the stuff for your widgets.

I guess I'm slow, but it just occurred to me after years of playing this game that there is a better way.
In the real world, there are markets for the stuff you need. I'm no expert, but the Chicago Board of Trade comes to mind. Or even if its not a physical place, its a concept.

If you need say Cotton for your manufacturing, there's a market for that.

You could put a government building called a 'board of trade' in each city.
That would represent the Local producers in that area. Thus, the local farmers making Sheep stuff and Cattle Stuff, growing crops, or the output
of small businesses in the mining, lumber or other resource exploitation business. When I want something from Wheat to Frozen Chicken, I can then link to the
Board of Trade as a supplier.

You could still make a deal with a game firm that uses the existing system to buy a giant timber tract, and presumably its a bit of a discount
from the market price.

It also helps with farming, because now when you make too much cotton or something, you can sell it to the market. Dumping a lot of stuff there should depress the price.

Quality still matters. Your farm or resource plant still has a quality, while the 'local market' has a local quality, just like your local competition. One advantage of buying or selling game firm to game firm would be getting better quality than the Local Market.

Just a wild though, but it seemed like it would help with both the 'where do I find' problem for when you are trying to start manufacturing and also the 'what the heck do I do with ..." problem after you just paid $80 mil for a tract of timber land. The real world has markets for allocating resources, so perhaps it would work in the game world?