Export company

Suggestions for new DLC projects.

Do you think these are good ideas?

Yes, it could form the basis of a potential new DLC that opens up new gameplay possibilities on global competition.
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 48

counting
Level 8 user

Re: Export company

Post by counting »

Nazka231 wrote:This part: "Recent researches have told us lots of theories are very limited in when and where they can be applied. It's even possible to design a theory without currency at all (actually a lot of classic theories don't), and still have emerging behavior like economy cycles."

If you have information about that, I will be glad to read them.
Are you familiar with general equilibrium theory in microeconomics? And the Arrow–Debreu model although fundamental and crucial, has no room for money in value theory. Gerard Debreu himself said "An important and difficult question...is not answered by the approach taken here: the integration of money in the theory of value". Mathematically, the model can reach equilibrium without variables implying the use of money. Since price itself is really just a ratio. Currency doesn't have to be an element. The paradox of the use of metallic currency in trade has puzzled the classic economists since the beginning. Monetary trade involves one party to a transaction giving up something desirable for something useless (a metal token which one has no immediate use) in the hope of retrading it in an unforeseen future date. The problem became more puzzling when fiat money becomes the norm, money is essentially just information bits, hence why currencies evolved and take place everywhere even before the modern concept of central banks or any other financial institutes existed, or the link between debt and banknotes.

With CGE (Computable General Equilibrium) models become the mainstream, and the forerunner of computational economics, researchers start to look into the very core of monetary theory, what is money, and why is there money? There have been many attempts through out the centuries, but more recently (since 1990s) we can now use fast simulation and experiments to explore this question with testable data instead of just mathematical equation. Ross M. Starr published a book called "Why is There Money?" just a few years back, exploring some of the issue and advancement from the perspective of General Equilibrium theory. (You probably have to check university libraries, since it's an academic publishing for the most part, and require some knowledge of monetary theory to understand it). Starr himself has a brief for students for his economic courses in his website, with less scary math you can check here. It contain a very interesting "bargain type" trading post economy system experiment based on A-D model where students can participate in which doesn't involved money. It also has plenty of references you can check if you are interested in the academic side. For more recent development (pass 2000s), you can check "Handbook of Computational Economics", with recent updated vol 3 in 2014. (probably still need access from university libraries I image).

In a general sense, what I meant is that since late 19th century to early 20th century where static mathematically models had dominate the economic theories where most economics textbook today still quote them regularly, but now since late 1990s, the mainstream economic researches have been shifted toward dynamic models where theories can be tested and experiment upon. Thus although many theories where finding equilibrium is still the keys for solving equations have given ways to computerized models where algorithm is more important, where they can be combined with field studies data, even big data to be verified. In the process, we've known the limitation of static models, and find the discrepancy in them toward newer dynamic models, where many old models are now considered to be special cases rather than general solutions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
Nazka231
Level 2 user

Post by Nazka231 »

I know the big lines but not everything. To give you a better idea, my knowledge is more like an MBA guy rather than a charterholder right now. I am not afraid of any sort of Mathematics if everything is well explain (like no private "handshakes" meaning: "everybody knows what this gamma is in my formula so I won't even define it somewhere"). My background is engineer in computer science interested in machine learning and CFA.

Thank you for your answer. I am going to start by reading your paper.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Nazka231 wrote:I know the big lines but not everything. To give you a better idea, my knowledge is more like an MBA guy rather than a charterholder right now. I am not afraid of any sort of Mathematics if everything is well explain (like no private "handshakes" meaning: "everybody knows what this gamma is in my formula so I won't even define it somewhere"). My background is engineer in computer science interested in machine learning and CFA.

Thank you for your answer. I am going to start by reading your paper.
Then you will probably like Agent-based Computational Economics which is one of the branch in Computational Economics across Experimental Economics. Those papers are more focused on algorithms than solving equations. Like this one : Monetary Policy and Dark Corners in a stylized Agent-Based Model. A lot of time, adaptive behaviors in agents are quite important, and in vol. 1 of Handbook of Computational Economics, you can see in the late 1990s, the cross-discipline with computer science, using dynamic programming, neural networks as tools were already quite common. Now, computational models are heavily embedded in all aspect of economics disciplines. Especially like Econometrics where machine learning becomes very crucial in recent years analyzing big data. But more radical and controversial thoughts are still in the field of theorists, where a whole array of different schools not just incompatible, but in fact the term Heterodox Economics is an accepted field in major journals (they pride themselves of not accepting mainstream doctrines, if there really is such a thing as mainstream still exist ;))
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

This is an old post about adding an export company to the game. Recently, we have been re-evaluating the feasibility of implementing such a feature into City Economic Simulation DLC.

Would like to know how you guys think.
David

Post by David »

To test the playability of having an export, we are thinking about adding an export function to the warehouse's output unit, as a temporary implementation for testing purposes. You will then be able to test out this new gameplay element and let us know if it is fun or not.

If the feedback is positive enough, we will try to come up with a way to integrate the export function into the game in a more cohesive manner.

Would you like to see us proceeding with this plan?
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

hmmmm...
Player will be able to sell goods abroad, it will make new taxes for cities but won't affect inflation. (cities spending affect inflation anyway). Sounds like an interesting plan.
David

Post by David »

Inflation is primarily driven up by low unemployment rate and wage growth. By getting more people to migrate to your city while keeping the number of jobs the same or not increasing so much, theoretically the unemployment rate will increase or at least will not drop, thus keeping the inflation at bay.
colonel_truman
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Post by colonel_truman »

I´d like to know if this issue has been dropped. I find it very interesting, indeed. Seems like a core to CES.
Maybe instead of a warehouse the building could be a dock...
Things aren´t getting worse; our information is getting better!
David

Post by David »

Attached please find the design doc for the export company. It was written a while ago but didn't gain much traction.

If you find any parts of it interesting, you may copy those parts from the attached PDF and paste them here on this thread and let us know your comments.
Attachments
Export company.rar
(99.05 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
colonel_truman
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Post by colonel_truman »

Cool ideas.
The problem is, I think, you have to "create the world" in order to export. Maybe too time/resource consuming.
That´s perfect as long as I´m concerned, but there might be an easier solution. I´m all in for simplicity :)

I´ll summarize:
There could be corporations in the game that represent countries, but they won´t engage in normal business.
Instead of countries they could represent economic areas, for simplicity (europe, far east, n. america, etc).
When the city competitiveness ratings (CR) surpass those of the "world at large", these special "country corporations" will start buying your country´s products.
They could buy directly from the individual factories, or from a corp. special warehouse (the export company you suggested).
Each country could have their own CR, or not (as it is now), and their own trigger to start purchases instead of the generic one of "surpassing", as well as their price ranges and quality ranges, and so, and these being secret, or publicly available.

The whole idea is to be able to cash in the CR, somehow.

On the other hand, your ideas are much more sophisticated, and I´m sure they would change the game for the better.
Things aren´t getting worse; our information is getting better!