Training the AI

Discussions about modding and share your mods with other players in this forum.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Training the AI

Post by saffgee »

David, a couple of questions on AI performance.

1. If I create more complex production chains, is there a way of "training" the AI to perform better on selecting which products to manufacture. In other words can the AI see the potential profit in a particular product chain ?
2. Would I need to create templates for the AI to even be able to produce the new products at all ? Would that improve its performance in this respect ? If yes, where can I edit those templates ?
3. Does the AI use new or updated buildings I create automatically or do I need to change some settings somewhere for that to happen ? I'm assuming yes, but just wanted to check.

Thanks.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Training the AI

Post by David »

Hi Saffgee, the AI is primarily programmed to do a good job with the standard game content of the vanilla Capitalism Lab and there are actually no built-in functions to make the AI more adept in a mod setting. AI's performance in a modded game is thus rather mixed. It may do a good job at production chains whose level of complexity is on par with the vanilla Capitalism Lab but may fall short in areas where a mod pushes the envelope of the game, such as really complex production chains that you are creating.

The only solution I can think of is to set the expectation differently. Instead of expecting a highly competitive game with strong AI, the player should be guided to enjoy the process of building complex production chains in a more or less solo mode (basically ignoring the competitors). I think this will still appeal to a lot of players as it would be quite a challenge to set up a complex production chain with limited financial resources regardless of how the AI performs.
saffgee wrote:David, a couple of questions on AI performance.

1. If I create more complex production chains, is there a way of "training" the AI to perform better on selecting which products to manufacture. In other words can the AI see the potential profit in a particular product chain ?
2. Would I need to create templates for the AI to even be able to produce the new products at all ? Would that improve its performance in this respect ? If yes, where can I edit those templates ?
3. Does the AI use new or updated buildings I create automatically or do I need to change some settings somewhere for that to happen ? I'm assuming yes, but just wanted to check.

Thanks.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

Thanks David - kind of as I thought, which is absolutely fine.

Just a follow up on the templates though; if I add products, will the AI still attempt to make them even if there is no pre-existing template for that product ?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

saffgee wrote:
Just a follow up on the templates though; if I add products, will the AI still attempt to make them even if there is no pre-existing template for that product ?
Yes, the AI uses the wildcard layout plans to make all types of products (the same wildcard plans you see in the layout plan library.)