Hotels

Suggestions for new DLC projects.
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Hotels

Post by Spac3y »

How about hotels. Not only would they work with the occupancy like apartments, but this could be affected by quality if hotel (like the media quality). You could set the price per room for example, seasonally this may go up or down like it does normally.

Also hotels could sell items like food/snacks/beveridges/medicine.

Just a thought
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Re: Hotels

Post by WilliamMGary »

+1

Could this be added to the finance DLC? Maybe make it more capital intensive than Apartments/commercial buildings
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

This sounds like a good idea.
but this could be affected by quality if hotel (like the media quality)
Media firms have a budget for content development. For hotels, what do you think should affect the quality of the hotel?
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:This sounds like a good idea.
Media firms have a budget for content development. For hotels, what do you think should affect the quality of the hotel?
Maybe it should a hybrid between retail, residential, and public facility system, where it has an "overall star rating" like the product overall rating with several major components.

First, the most obvious factor is the interior and exterior decorations, probably similar to the "upgrade expenses", in public facility.

Second, the service matters, it could be like the training cost in both retail or public facility.

Third, the surrounding and locations. Obviously similar to apartments, tourists will like to live in convenient places as well as near service facilities. Preferably within the hotel or near it. This might require some not-yet implemented service facilities, like SPA, swimming pool, dry cleaning, dinners, etc.

Fourth, the "brand", this is quite obvious that some hotels are simply more expensive due to being more famous, or have long history.

And finally, the price. Integrating with all the factors, I think we can have a similar "star rating" system to product "overall rating" system for hotels (0 to 5 stars?)
Last edited by eleaza on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Post by Spac3y »

eleaza wrote:
David wrote:This sounds like a good idea.
Maybe it should a hybrid between retail, residential, and public facility system, where it has an "overall star rating" like the product overall rating with several major components.

First, the most obvious factor is the interior and exterior decorations, probably similar to the "upgrade expenses", in public facility.

Second, the service matters, it could be like the training cost in both retail or public facility.

Third, the surrounding and locations. Obviously similar to apartments, tourists will like to live in convenient places as well as near service facilities. Preferably within the hotel or near it. This might require some not-yet implemented service facilities, like SPA, swimming pool, dry cleaning, dinners, etc.

Fourth, the "brand", this is quite obvious that some hotels are simply more expensive due to been more famous, or have long history.

And finally, the price, and integrating with all the factors, I think we can give a similar "star rating" system for hotels (0 to 5 stars?)
Thats actually quite a good rundown Ele ! If you think in the latest DLC we also have tourist attractions, like putting a commercial building near the CBD, hotels near these famous landmarks could charge higher rates, just like apartments next to parks/shops etc.

I guess you could also R&D better hotels much like you R&D new products now, or you could R&D new services to offer in them

Training would result in better quality of staff, which could raise the rating of the hotel, running costs would be something to think about as well )more expensive tiled areas) may have higher running costs as well as being able to charge at a higher rate.
David

Post by David »

These are all good ideas!
What are your thoughts on how exactly the above can be implemented? How should the interfaces look like?
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:These are all good ideas!
What are your thoughts on how exactly the above can be implemented? How should the interfaces look like?
Hmm... UI design is not my strong suit, just list some of my thoughts here.

First, I think since mostly it's a variation of real estate so the firm's main window might look similar to the real estate firm window. However since there're at least 3 different parameters can be individually tuned (upgrade, service training, and price) so the section of tuning/managing of the hotel might need to be similar to public facility with many bars to scroll.

However, since brand also matters, and different advertisements might have different budgets, so I think we will need some kind of secondary window for linking to different medias. Or we simply use some kind of HQ like department of service building that specifically dealing with real estate brand rating (perhaps a single brand system similar to corporate brand?)

The final part will be the information indicators like how close to services, or even linking to nearby services (like serving exclusive contract with services so it's part of the "purchasing service expenses"), maybe a simpler version of the 9-grid in another separate secondary window? where each service can be "signed" and "serve" to the guests. And perhaps a "star rating" bar with color coding like the product rating bar to show the current star rating. As well as charts of each components in the rating, changing over time.
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Post by Spac3y »

I think branding for hotels could be particularly important. We all know the chains we have (here certainly premier inn, holiday inn chains are all the sort of mainstream volume hotels ). These are based in towns and cities, most of these arent necesarliy next to the primer areas but they dont need to be as these are volume hotels offering basic services.

These consist of pretty much a room and thats about it.

You then move to the top of the scale, Im thinking the Dorchester/Ritz type places. These not only are in expensive parts of the cities (so tile value would matter) (aswell as closeness to shops/amenities.wonders of the world).

These not only offer prime rooms, but you could also R&D services for these. Consierge/restraunt/chauffeurs/masseuse/butlers/ add more in here

You could take a two pronged view. You could either have these offering the services like the HQ offers individual units. Or you could have a mix of these offering not only services, but as I said previous products , champagne, caviar etc.

Also you could have multiple floors (like multiple store floors in the DLC).

Presentation wise.

Attractiveness bar - How expensive is the area
Clossness to shops - Everyone wants to go shopping yay
Wonders of the World - These attract lots of tourists , the close the better
Civil Buildings - Oh a police station next to me, I feel safe yay ! Hospital is close, atleast if anything happens Im covered.
Green Space / Pollution - Would you want to be holidaying next to a polluted area ? Oh look, Im right next to central park, how lovely !

Pricing is going to be down to how good a rating you have. You can obiously charge more per night for a top hotel than a standard one, but also seasonally (what time of year is it, do I want to visit in the winter ? Brrr its cold) would affect pricing per night per person or room.

Now you dont want to have to micromanage to death pricing per day, but it could be seasonally, or their could be an option for your CFO or other lacky to manage this if you didnt want too.

Just some thoughts
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Spac3y wrote: Now you dont want to have to micromanage to death pricing per day, but it could be seasonally, or their could be an option for your CFO or other lacky to manage this if you didnt want too.

Just some thoughts
I think for pricing, it could just be a simple "average per residence" per night at first, instead of the complex pricing options for different rooms and discounts in real life. There's no season in the game yet and tourist attraction would be a constant factor. Maybe later we could add more features but right now just keep the basic concept simple and abstract.

Or we could just set 2 parameters a price ceiling and a discount base price, where the real price in a given moment is dynamically adjust between these two, aiming at a target occupancy rate (if possible within this price range).
David

Post by David »

As for the hotel interface, it could use a similar layout as Internet firms where there are buttons for switching to different pages and each page shows a specific type of information.

About Internet firms in Digital Age DLC:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/internet-companies.html

What do you guys think?