Grand business strategy game on a global scale

Suggestions for Enlight's future strategy game projects.
David
Site Admin

Re: Grand business strategy game on a global scale

#11 Post by David » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:16 pm

As I said earlier it is not clear what your audience would be hardcore fans or more mainstream audience?
While the game concept in the original post is going to move forward as stated in my previous post, I think the above question is worth discussing.

Capitalism Lab is geared towards hardcore fans. If we were to start a new project, it would make business sense to target the mainstream audience for a broader market.

If any of you have any ideas for a business sim for the mainstream audience that you would like to see and play and such a game is not available from the market (meaning a market opportunity), please feel free to post your suggestions here.

Njeroe
Level 3 user

#12 Post by Njeroe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:59 pm

David wrote:
As I said earlier it is not clear what your audience would be hardcore fans or more mainstream audience?
While the game concept in the original post is going to move forward as stated in my previous post, I think the above question is worth discussing.

Capitalism Lab is geared towards hardcore fans. If we were to start a new project, it would make business sense to target the mainstream audience for a broader market.

If any of you have any ideas for a business sim for the mainstream audience that you would like to see and play and such a game is not available from the market (meaning a market opportunity), please feel free to post your suggestions here.
I'd take a look at newer management games such as Prison Architect, there's a whole list on Wikipedia of business management games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ideo_games). Were seeing a lot of older franchises coming back like RCT and competitors to that such as Planet Coaster/Parkitect. I think a detailed simulation such as Capitalism still has it's potential to be successful with a redesigned user experience and modernized look. As I told in my previous post the game has to have easy to understand features, but should provide depth to experienced players and be hard to master towards the end-game. So easy to learn hard to master.

Paradox Games does this too and is very succesful with their sandbox games where players can set their own goals and challenge themselves. Just like Capitalism Lab is a sandbox game where you can choose which way your company goes. Ultimately Capitalism Lab has shortcomings on the user experience side as it is dated and hard to understand for new players how the game mechanics work. For me for example when I was getting back into the game I was getting frustrated because I did not known what I was doing wrong and the game wasn't giving me the info I needed in a clear way. I in no way have experience designing a game so I have no clue what things you could solve but I am always willing to give advice.

TL;DR Capitalism as a franchise is viable but needs a more polished user experience, easy to learn hard to master is the way to go I think.

David
Site Admin

#13 Post by David » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:28 am

For me for example when I was getting back into the game I was getting frustrated because I did not known what I was doing wrong and the game wasn't giving me the info I needed in a clear way. I in no way have experience designing a game so I have no clue what things you could solve but I am always willing to give advice.
It would be very helpful if you could put together a list of things that frustrated you when you got back to the game after not playing it for a long while.

We will then review them one by one and see if we could come up with ways to improve them.

I would recommend that you start a new thread for such a list and other users may also add to the list with other issues that they have experienced.

cocapelli

#14 Post by cocapelli » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:01 am

this discussion was a crazy roller coaster ride of emotions for me.

i was thinking about using different currencies then you said playing other countries stock markets, then you said 1900. for all of that, you have to have politics. dont think that is possible. i thought about city economic simulation dlc, got hysterical for a second, but i still dont think it is possible. would be way too amazing.
saffgee wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Maybe I'm just old and stuck in my ways, but I think the holy grail of computer gaming is still AI. 3D map of the world, different taxes and tariffs by country/city, global trade, etc, etc - yes, I do want all those and much more, but above all I want to play the game my way in my own time, yet still be challenged every step of the way. Only an AI can offer that really.

yea, this is how i feel.
saffgee wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:35 pm

David, in regards to some of the other suggestions you make for gameplay here, I feel myself reminded of Matrix 2 & 3. It's not that they were bad films (on the contrary, I feel 2 was extremely entertaining), but they just weren't Matrix 1 - not much bullet dodging and very little telephone boothing. Asking us, your die hard Matrix 1 fans, if we'd like a game without a local map and no 3x3 factory grid layouts is just a little too much "reloaded" and "revolutions" for my taste. I'm not at all saying I wouldn't buy such a game if it were there, but I'm not truly convinced we are the audience it would be aimed towards.
not this at all though. update that 3x3 grid for me please. if it must be a puzzle, make it something like SpaceChem, something geared toward efficiency. i am still going to search online for the best and copy/paste a few to decide which i like best. Ain't nobody got time for that. i want to buy and sell, i want to trade. i want to transport and control. i want to rule governments with my accumulated cash. i want to be Rockefeller and Vanderbilt. RRT2 was really good, but you guys are amazing.

then i saw that "did not draw enough interest". *sigh

i still dont think you could have done it.

All that being said, it doesnt matter what you make, i will probably give you some money for it.