Banking and Financial DLC design draft

Banking and Finance DLC for Capitalism Lab
beamthegreat
Level 3 user

Re: Banking and Financial DLC design draft

Post by beamthegreat »

Any updates so far? When will this be available?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

The DLC does not have a scheduled release date yet as it is still early in development.

I will try to get a work-in-progress screenshot from the dev team and post it here this week.
chaotrach
Level 2 user

Post by chaotrach »

Yah this would be great.
David

Post by David »

As promised, here is a new update about Banking DLC: the viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4873
Njeroe
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Post by Njeroe »

Would it be possible to add insurance as another way to generate income? With a risk of having to pay out big sums of money when disasters happen, like floods/hurricanes etc. (this would obviously be just a message). You could sell home owners insurance, car insurance, liability etc. Depending on how good your coverage quality/price/brand is you get more customers but to get better "coverage quality" you have to pay out more.
beamthegreat
Level 3 user

Post by beamthegreat »

Adding insurance would be interesting, seeing how to balance underwriting loss with investment profits (from insurance floats) will definitely be fun.
David

Post by David »

I have forwarded your suggestion of simulating insurance companies in the DLC to the dev team.

If you have any more detailed ideas, please feel free to post here.
au8633
Level 3 user

Post by au8633 »

Will you be able to purchase the debt of another company from the banks if the future looks really grim for the company in debt. also once a company goes bankrupt there should be a ai administrator or the bank that takes over the company and finds a way out of the red or looks for a buyer of the company and there should be conditions put in place so say if you bought the company you cannot reduce workforce *close down firms* or sell off tech or merge the company with the buyer for a period of time 25 years or so . so meaning you have too look what current firms that company has and retool the operations in a way that makes it profitable and they still have to pay off the debt of the company. also the bank will have a way of selling all retail stores to one company while selling all the the back end operations to another.
I would also like to be able to apply to be the administrator of a company for a bank and if you do good work and turn the company around the bank will more then likely offer you the job next first. just a few ideas :lol:
colonel_truman
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Post by colonel_truman »

Maybe I don´t have a very detailed idea, but there I go:

I wonder how easy could be to develop the purchase and sale of warehouses full of (non-perishable?) "commodities", and make them available for sale in a fancy new menu (like the new bond market menu). That could be a commodities market.
You could set up your mine, add a nearby warehouse, fill it with the minerals (or have a factory to transform them in a tradeable, usable commodity) and then make it available in the open market (for industrial use, hedge against inflation, speculating, etc.)
When the sale is done the transfer is made to the buyer´s warehouse.
In that case I would (finally) set up subsidiaries just to produce these commodities, and be able to use the people with raw material expertise too.

The "sale" slot should be marked to this specific, special sale. Otherwise the same I guess. (?)
I´ll let it hanging there for the expert minds as I´m quite an ignoramus.

Also, I´ve seen comments about auto-loans and insurance companies. Just my opinion in two words:
I think auto-loans deserve some attention as it´s quite a theme in real life. It could help boost the otherwise languid (in most games) vehicle market, as I mostly see the auto makers go bust the 1st of all. And I guess it will be easy to implement (an equal to mortgages, corp and independent firms loans?)
Insurance companies are big buyers of other´s debt, so at least in name I believe they should be present as a bond market will exist. They could be the equivalent of the investment (stock market centered) companies already in the game, but in this case with bonds.

Thank you for your patience :roll:
Things aren´t getting worse; our information is getting better!
colonel_truman
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Post by colonel_truman »

Some other brief thoughts:
The current game mechanics portray credit conditions in a loose way, which is fine as there´s no way to make a perfect simulation: we have a game here. But as you are focused on creating a more detailed financial game extension, I wonder how the mechanics of a i.e. credit crunch will be put to work.
Also, as I´ve seen that you will make mortages safer than lending to small business, I remember 2008 and wonder. And I also remember what a fiasco the credit rating agencies made of their own parameters to evaluate risk (AAA ahem, etc).

What I wanted to say is that if the players would have to look for opportunities to lend, they should make their own risk appraising. That would be much more challenging and fun and it will avoid corsetting the game.
Maybe if you put to work a set of overall variables in the mechanics of the game, and make these variables be influenced by the AI and human players, and so have dependent changing conditions, the game will be made very interesting indeed.
Things aren´t getting worse; our information is getting better!