shares in your company

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
jeeves73

shares in your company

Post by jeeves73 »

how is this possible?

I believed that when you had a low participation in your company, you lost it the control.
This is very easy, you can get millions and millions of dollars issuing shares without any control.
This game is becoming an arcade game.

Thank you, is a great game, but some things need improvement.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: shares in your company

Post by David »

You lose the control of your company when someone controls 50% or more shares of your company.

I believe that the game rule works like this since Capitalism 2.

Most players will not enjoy losing the game instantly when someone has gained more shares than yours in your company. So 50% is a reasonable threshold from the gameplay perspective.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

Even from a real-world mechanics perspective David is correct. You don't have "control" of a publicly listed company by your shareholding, but by your role as CEO or chairman of the board (or both). In the absence of a mechanic that allows those other shareholders to vote you out as COB, you remain powerful even if your shareholding drops to zero. There are examples of this in the real world actually, where for example a chairman stays on even after having sold his shares to another director. Often this is just a transition period, but in some cases its simply that he/she is the best person for that role, which does require some skill, or as a mark of respect for a founder ("COB for life").

Were this a private company, strictly speaking if you sold out of a majority, you would no longer be in sole control, but I don't think that scenario can happen in game (though I'm a bit fuzzy on private company mechanics as haven't been one in my games for a while) as you can only sell a non-controlling amount of shares.
jeeves73

Post by jeeves73 »

Sorry, I didn´t know that I lose control of my compañy when another inversor have more than 50 %. I thint is correct. but I still think that a lot of shares can be issued and are all (mostly) subscribed by the investors. It should be more difficult to issue shares.

Thanks for the quick reply
Njeroe
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Post by Njeroe »

It works the other way around too you need to get 50% of a company before you can gain any sort of control and over 75% to fully gain control. Even if you have the biggest percentage. If you dont care about your player character you can sell all your shares but there's a risk in the AI competitor buying up public shares to go above 50%. And your player wealth will have a big decrease in value on the long term if you have the goal to end up in the top 100 billionaires.
ebolamonkey

Post by ebolamonkey »

AI is overly aggressive with stock purchases. If you can't buyout your company within year one, you will pay for it handsomely down the line in later years. This comes at the expense of expansion so study the start game very wisely for appropriate Capital allocation.
moneytheory
Level 4 user

Post by moneytheory »

Has the AI player ever taken over a human player? I have never seen this happen in Cap2 or Cap Lab. And i have sold all my shares too.