Re-Install question/problem

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
rmpcaplab

Re-Install question/problem

Post by rmpcaplab »

I had uninstalled the game a couple weeks ago.

I just downloaded the 5.127 update game file and installed it. When it finished installing (it indicated it successfully installed), I chose to start the game at that point.

I got the main menu with the "5.127" version indicated in the top right corner of screen. I then selected a scenario.....and, when I press "start" I get the following messages:

a) "Error creating file: c:\users\owner\documents\mygames\capitalism lab\config.dat"
b) "Error on file: ilib\file.cpp line 291

When I went to the game's location folders the only folders created were: Capitalism Lab with sub folders for: Challenge, Save, Script. HOWEVER, there is NOTHING installed....no files at all. I've tried this install three (3) times now with the same results.

I'd appreciate any suggestion as to what I might do (or what I'm doing wrong) to get the game installed again.

Thanks,

Bob
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Re-Install question/problem

Post by David »

You may try running the game installer with windows Administrator right.

FYI, here is how to do so:
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi ... 0-3632744/

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-run ... -windows-7
rmpcaplab

Post by rmpcaplab »

I did run as "administrator"; but, same error messages appear after selecting a scenario or creating a custom game then pressing "Start".

The game (and all game folders) are installed in : C:\Users\AppData\Local\Capitalism Lab. And, within the main folder is the CapMain.exe; and, CapStart.exe.

BUT, there aren't any files installed within the "My Documents" & "My Games" folders which the error messages refer to. And, I do believe that in my original install (a couple months ago) there were files installed within the "My Games" of the "My Documents".

There was a WIN 10 update around mid Dec'17.......could that have changed something which could be triggering this issue I'm having?

Thanks,

Bob
David

Post by David »

a) "Error creating file: c:\users\owner\documents\mygames\capitalism lab\config.dat"
b) "Error on file: ilib\file.cpp line 291
These two errors were caused by that Windows does not allow CapMain.exe to write the file CONFIG.DAT to "c:\users\owner\documents\mygames\capitalism lab" folder.

Normally this could be resolved by granting CapMain.exe the administrator right.

Could you please try running CapStart.exe with windows Administrator right? CapStart.exe will in turn call Capmain.exe.
rmpcaplab

Post by rmpcaplab »

Unfortunately, same resulting error messages.

Just so you know what I did: Went to the installed "\local\Capitalism Lab\"......right clicked on "CapStart.exe"......selected "run as administrator".

Once I select a Scenario or Custom Game and press "Start".....the game fails and produces the error messages.

Bob
David

Post by David »

You may try the post-release version and see if it makes any difference:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4768

It installs on a different folder.
rmpcaplab

Post by rmpcaplab »

Error Message: "Error on File: ilib\File.cpp" "Line 443"

In Folder: "Capitalism Lab - Post-Release Beta":

Double clicked on "CapMain.exe" & then right clicked on "CapMain.exe" to "run as Administrator".........both times got the same error message (as above) in this message.

I don't get to the game's Main Menu with this option.

Bob
David

Post by David »

Do you have Capitalism 2? If so, you may test if you could run it.

If you don't have Capitalism 2, I can send you the download link and you could download it and test it. (I will send the download link to you as a private message as the link is not for public posting.)
rmpcaplab

Post by rmpcaplab »

Somewhere (stored away) I do have the disk; but, it would be easier to give me the link.

I'm leaving for a while, so won't be able to check this option until later today.

Thanks,

Bob
rmpcaplab

Post by rmpcaplab »

David,

Obtained your PM link, downloaded.....installed to C:\

BUT, got the same error message upon pening game to Main Menu:

"Error creating file c:\users\owner\documents\mygames\Capitalism2" "Config.Dat"

If my problem hasn't been previously reported......then, possibly something with my sytem might be askew.

My system: ASUS laptop Core i7; WIN10 64bit; 16mb RAM; 1TB HD; 2.5 HZ; GEFORCE GTX 660M 2GB Video.

I've also run my "SYSTEM MECHANIC" software program to clean registries, etc. without any change.

So...., if there are any further suggestions let me know. Otherwise, I'll assume the game can no longer be configured on my system.

Thanks for your help.

Bob