How can you get large companies to leave a market?

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
KingMidas

How can you get large companies to leave a market?

Post by KingMidas »

I was playing the apparel scenario and ended up getting the largest company in the game to go up against me. I am heavily focused in apparel and they had the dominant market share. I now have better products, better branding and more stores. I have checked my stores and they appear to have plenty of stock. There are some cities where they still have the market share though... I keep lowering my prices to try and stay 10 or 20 overall points ahead. I have gone to look at each of their stores and they are looking tons and tons of money per item. It has been years and years though and they haven’t left the industry. How do i get them to fully leave apparel?
colonel_truman
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: How can you get large companies to leave a market?

Post by colonel_truman »

You´ll have to learn to live side by side. Remember, they don´t know how to do anything else, so it´s not they are giving you a hard time, but the other way around ;)
The best way would be to find a segment where you can make money and buy them out once you have the cash. They won´t stop.
Things aren´t getting worse; our information is getting better!
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Post by bdubbs »

As said above you can't force a company that manufactures AND retails their own product to leave a market space. If a company is retailing a product that is manufactured by another company or a seaport you can force them to stop selling with a price war.

The best way to eliminate competition in this game is to buy them out. You seem to be referring to the opening apparel scenario which IMO is a really bad scenario to present to new players as an "easy" obstacle. If you engage in a price war with another company it should hurt their stock price and give you the opportunity to buy up their stock more easily. In order to do that you need to be diversified or else you're only hurting yourself by entering a price war with your only product class. If you're making a substantial profit though you should be able to just buy them out a little piece at a time until you can force a merger
Joep
Level 2 user

Post by Joep »

The best strategy is to start thinking on product-level.

First find out if there are any products that don't have retail sales. You can easily set up a monopoly here that earn you tons of money. In this scenario hopefully in Footwear- or Leatherproducts. Start in the city that is cheap (Warsaw) or that has a low local overall product rating of the specific product you are going to sell.

Next find out on what products your competitor earn most of her money and start here a price-war too.

Now she stop's earning any money at all and starts bleeding totally dry. You however, are still making money with your money on your monopoly products, so you have a longer breath and can start (with your profits) buying her shares.
choum
Level 3 user

Post by choum »

buy them ;)