Poll: Telecom management change

Digital Age DLC for Capitalism Lab

Telecom Slider changes

I want the ability to upgrade performance of my infrastructure AND have the auto growth slider
77%
I only want the auto growth slider
No votes
I only want the performance upgrade mechanic
3%
I don't necessarily agree with either idea, but I am for changes
20%
I don't want changes
No votes

Total votes: 30

stuguy909

Poll: Telecom management change

Post by stuguy909 »

I like the idea of Telecom companies. There seems to be a relation between users of telecoms and how much web traffic one can generate on a website, IE, it's the amount of people on the web.

Though I would like to see 2 design changes to the Telecoms in lieu of how they can work with web companies.

1) Add an auto growth slider that allows the individual telecom to automatically keep the network growth pace with user growth pace. Though, try to keep available capacity at around 10% free, just in case there are significant growth periods.

2) Add a performance growth slider. Performance should be representative of speed, or bandwidth, this should also directly relate to how good of a web service one can subscribe to. If a web company has a 120 level overall tech website, then the telecom should be at 120 overall tech level in performance. If a telecom cannot provide access to the high traffic Coogle.com search engine, then the users should jump ship to a telecom that can. This would enable more advanced telecoms to gouge a bit more because they can offer up more access to content and quality of life. This slider should also be very expensive! A starting telecom company would have to think twice before pumping money into infra upgrades when they are not even profiting off of the original infra yet.
lowkeybavil
Level 3 user

Re: Poll: Telecom management change

Post by lowkeybavil »

stuguy909 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:42 am I like the idea of Telecom companies. There seems to be a relation between users of telecoms and how much web traffic one can generate on a website, IE, it's the amount of people on the web.

Though I would like to see 2 design changes to the Telecoms in lieu of how they can work with web companies.

1) Add an auto growth slider that allows the individual telecom to automatically keep the network growth pace with user growth pace. Though, try to keep available capacity at around 10% free, just in case there are significant growth periods.

2) Add a performance growth slider. Performance should be representative of speed, or bandwidth, this should also directly relate to how good of a web service one can subscribe to. If a web company has a 120 level overall tech website, then the telecom should be at 120 overall tech level in performance. If a telecom cannot provide access to the high traffic Coogle.com search engine, then the users should jump ship to a telecom that can. This would enable more advanced telecoms to gouge a bit more because they can offer up more access to content and quality of life. This slider should also be very expensive! A starting telecom company would have to think twice before pumping money into infra upgrades when they are not even profiting off of the original infra yet.
as a person with love for networks and networking i love this idea
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

We also like to improve the telecom companies. More inputs and discussions on this are welcome.
ohms_law
Level 3 user

Post by ohms_law »

Implementing some sort of service speed (or quality) is definitely the first place to go with this.
David

Post by David »

If a web company has a 120 level overall tech website, then the telecom should be at 120 overall tech level in performance.
My understanding is that web sites are not tied to telecoms in this way in the real world.

The internet backbone is connected to all telecoms.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_backbone
David

Post by David »

Any new thoughts on this?
lillud321
Level 2 user

Post by lillud321 »

stuguy909 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:42 am I like the idea of Telecom companies. There seems to be a relation between users of telecoms and how much web traffic one can generate on a website, IE, it's the amount of people on the web.

I Think the original idea is really nice.

The only thing i would do is create a new building that would be the Towers responsable for the bandwidt speed. A bit like the new 5g Towers in the United States . So a player would need to research the bandwidth technologies . Then he would have to build many Towers in a City to make his internet available for all the population of a City. But we could ha two ways to implémenta this . Eather the placement of the Towers Will affect how many people can have accès to the internet or it would be a multiplier that effects the speed . Like 100 level Tech = 100mbps. Then each Tower is is Worth 5% . So 120 tech and 5 Tower would give. 120 X (5X5%)= 30mbps.

So then the player would need to have a telecom building (like it is rigth now) in the City to sell his internet to the population. A Telecom company could choose to eather create his on infrastructure or Pay a renting fee to borrow another company's towers.
David

Post by David »

lillud321 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:58 pm The only thing i would do is create a new building that would be the Towers responsable for the bandwidt speed. A bit like the new 5g Towers in the United States . So a player would need to research the bandwidth technologies . Then he would have to build many Towers in a City to make his internet available for all the population of a City. But we could ha two ways to implémenta this . Eather the placement of the Towers Will affect how many people can have accès to the internet or it would be a multiplier that effects the speed . Like 100 level Tech = 100mbps. Then each Tower is is Worth 5% . So 120 tech and 5 Tower would give. 120 X (5X5%)= 30mbps.
FYI, in the game, telecom companies mainly provide Internet access via fixed lines. Mobile Internet access is not simulated, though a Smart Phone content pack may change that (http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewto ... =42&t=4804)
If a web company has a 120 level overall tech website, then the telecom should be at 120 overall tech level in performance.
My understanding is that web sites are not tied to telecoms in this way in the real world.

The internet backbone is connected to all telecoms.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_backbone
Do you have any thoughts to the above?
Kristo
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by Kristo »

Hi,

here's what i have in mind:

Simply put - separate the slider for "upgrading infrastructure" in 2 sliders - one for the "provider" and one for the "network". How? Let me explain:

In my understanding all utility companies in game (present and future) will need 2 components in order to work:
1) The "provider building" (Power plant for Electricity, Water Facility fo Water, Oil Refinery for Fuel, Gas, and of course - "Telecom" for internet and phone services)
2) The "network" or the "grid" - to distribute the "goods"

Your overall quality is a sum of quality of your initial product (internet in a Telecom building) and your own network (the internet grid you have to build, control, own and upgrade)

In the Telecom building you'll need to have 2 menues - one for the "product" with values like "top internet speed", "quality of internet service provided", and a button called "Upgrade The Top Speed" which will be capped at some point and after it, you'll need to research a tech level in "internet speed" or something. The old button for "monthly budget" will still exist, but here will be dedicated to mostly "upkeep" your main product and service in the Telecom. We can call it "monthly upkeep" = it will be used for training, advertising, anti-virus, maitenance - basically everything in the telecom building.

Now the network - you have to build it yourself. In the "building" menu you'll need a new group - Utilities (hopefully it will unclude more later) - and the option will be called "Broadband network" - once selected, all the building on the map will disappear and you are free to select a land plot or plots, or group of plots to "build" your broadband network (in a different color than the land of course). This map mode will be the only way to see your "network" - either building it, or selecting it on the map menu. Of course you should build this network in places where clients will need it, both public and private - homes yes, but also company buildings, stores, medias, goverment buildings, etc. Some limitaions will exist (not building on a gold mine, a forrest, the river, the roads, etc). All of yours "broadband network plots" that you "build" will be your "Internet Grid". This grid will be "below" the existing buildings (or below empty land plots, where'll be cheaper to build such network). Now back to the telecom building. Another menu will be called "Internet grid" and here you'll have a slider "monthly upkeep" (as above), a button "modernize" - where you can manually or on every X years will invest large sum of money to modernize the whole network (same as training in HQ) and "quality of broadband network" - which is the rating of this grid.

Well this is basically it.

Now i'd like to see 2 more options - Fixed-Line Phones Service (FLPS) and Mobile Phone Service (MPS) in the same telecom building, working the same way as Broadband Internet Service (BIS).

1/ FLPS - it will work the same as BIS, with again you building the land-network plot by plot with 2 menues and all. The option in the building menu/utilities/ will be "Landline Grid". The telecom menues will be "Fixed Line Phones" and "Fixed Line Grid" or "landline", with the same sliders, buttons and all. Posibility here is state-owned "landline grid" will exist at the begining of a new game.

2/ MPS - instead of building on plots "below" building, you'll need to buy plots to build "towers" on them. The building will be called "Phone Tower" and the menues in telecom will be "MPS" (as the product) and "Tower Network (as the grid). Towers will cover several blocks around them, but "upgrade the towers" will widen their reach.

So, all in all, the mechanics will be this: You'll need one and only "provider" building (Telecom) to "create" three products (fixed-line phone service, mobile phone service, internet service) - with posible addition "cable tv". Each product will have its own network/grid in order to reach clients - fixed lines, towers or broadband lines. Each product can be upgraded as a product in its own menu, and each grid can be upgraded in their menues. Needless to say - you can buy/sell grids from/to other companies, merge them with yours and reach more clients. These grids will appear in "firms" that corporations own. If you sell the telecom, you'll be selling all grids attached to it.

All the mentioned stuff about tech levels, research and such will apply here too. If you need higher top speed, or better cables, or better towers - you'll need a r'n'd center to research it. Investing in "upkeep" will keep your clients happy, and investing in "upgrade"/"modernize" will add more clients, while losing fewer existing ones. Quality of your products/services will determine how profitable the telecom is.
David

Post by David »

Hi Kristo,

Thank you for the suggestions! I've forward them to the dev team. I will get their feedback for you once they have a chance to read it.

David