Suggestion: Bonds issued by a City

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab

What should happen if a City defaults on Debt ?

Ban the party in all cities for 30 years
30%
Ban the party in this city for 30 years
No votes
Ban the party in this city for 10 years
No votes
Ban the party in all cities for 10 years
20%
Debt to be taken over by a central bank with austerity cuts on spending so that repayment can happen - City economics must suffer due to over leverage
30%
Debt to be repaid to the same bond holders but without any interest and with austerity cuts to the city - ensures bondholders are also penalized by longer repayments and nil interest, for lending at very high risk
10%
Debt to be just written off and bond holders get nothing - no impact to city
10%

Total votes: 10

amitnageshri7

Suggestion: Bonds issued by a City

Post by amitnageshri7 »

It seems the entire issuing bonds to raise money logic of a City is flawed.

Firstly, it is kind of like a cheat - i can take billions of $$$s of debt and fuel the economy and then just let it default - the penalty is just not high enough - only ousted from my mayor post and within 5 years i can get re-elected. The party should be banned for a longer period like 30 yrs to disincentivize such a borrowing. Additionally the party should be banned from other cities also. Also a max cap limit would be nice - something like not more than 2x GDP (200% debt of GDP is pretty much on higher side realistically speaking)

Secondly, the debt should not be simply written off - there should be austerity measures put forth by the central bank - that can take over the debt - something like for e.g. - you cannot build more buildings, you cannot spend more than xx.xx amounts for Hospital, Education, etc. This will ensure that over time the debt is paid back and accounted for instead of simply having it written off. This is also more realistic.

Thirdly, future credit ratings of such cities should factor this default atleast for another decade. I see here that once there is a default and debt is written off, my city is still rated AA or A - which really doesn't make sense.

Lastly, would be great if there is an option to buyback earlier raised debt and refinance it. It happens all the time. govt take a lot of debt when interests are high lets say at 5%, then if interest rates fall to 3%, govt buys back the earlier debt and raises fresh debt at lower interest. Obviously one needs to keep a penalty for such an early buy back, but its a fair and realistic option.
Last edited by amitnageshri7 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Bonds issued by a City

Post by David »

I would recommend that you create a poll for your suggestions to gauge the community's interest in them. There would be a higher chance that the dev team will implement them if the interest level is high.

You could see some examples of the polls in the Suggestions forum at viewforum.php?f=14
Here is one that I have recently created: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7815