Poll: Add different currencies to banking DLC

Banking and Finance DLC for Capitalism Lab

Add different currencies to banking DLC

I want to add currencies to banking DLC.
73%
I don't want this feature.
27%

Total votes: 74

beamthegreat
Level 3 user

Re: Poll: Add different currencies to banking DLC

Post by beamthegreat »

I think this is completely unnecessary and will make the game much more confusing.
dark3214
Level 2 user

Post by dark3214 »

One way to avoid adjusting prices too often is to report currency movements every year just like GDP. Different currencies can be used for different cities(pounds, dollars,euro,yen,etc..).currently their is an option to adjust prices with inflation in the headquarters building under the CEO, an option can be added which adjust prices in accordance to the overall rating of a product.

Example a notebook costs $1000 in city A with an overall rating of a product at 100 percent .City B imports the Notebook from City A both cities have the same wage rate and the same currency conversion rate at the the first year so the product at both cities are at an overall rating of 100.

Year 2 City B runs a current account deficit so its currency value moved down by 10% if both cities still have the same wage rate the notebook now is more expensive at City B which causes the overall rating to drop to 90%. To get it back to 100 percent a player can invest in advertising or cut the price.( A setting can be added to do this in the headquarter which will try to maintain the overall rating of each product class)

If anyone has a better idea please jump in
buells
Level 4 user

Post by buells »

beamthegreat wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:28 am I think this is completely unnecessary and will make the game much more confusing.
Completely agree
dark3214
Level 2 user

Post by dark3214 »

beamthegreat wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:28 am I think this is completely unnecessary and will make the game much more confusing.
It will be optional for people that want extra gameplay features just like inflation.So I don't think it will be confusing.
Kristo
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by Kristo »

Hi,

my opinion - "Yes" - if they're only used as securities and traded on "money market" in order to hedge your investments or make quick cash. Basically - only US Dollar will be used to buy/build/trade things in-game, and other currencies will be available to invest in and stockpile as investment for the future. Their movement up and down against the Dollar with provide you with either losses or gains in the "money market". These currencies will move according to their respective economy.
Also options:
- possible foreign currencies - Euro, Yen, AusDollar, Swiss Francs, Saudi Riyal, Chinese Yaun, British Pound, Indian Rupee, Ruble, Hong Kong dollars, etc...
- ability to choose which of these to be in your game, if any;
- ability to deposit your stockpile of these currencies in a bank in the correct country (pounds in London, Yens in Tokyo, etc) for profits via interest. Same thing in lending money: to be able to borrow money from a bank in either dollars or their respective currency in their country, if available
- companies with focus "investment" to add bond and money markets to their strategy
- may be: option to buy land in some countries only with their local currency and pay little higher cost in dollars.
- currencies to be treated as an asset in your statement sheet, not automatically calculated in dollars
- to be able to make business with the goverment in their currency

Also: "gold" to be added in the same mechanics as above, with possible added feature - to be able to buy/sell foreign currency against gold, instead of against dollars.

Also also - pls check this link for more ideas on Foreign exchange
dark3214
Level 2 user

Post by dark3214 »

Thanks for contributing

I really hope the devs give it a good look.

let's wish for the best!
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by cantdownloadit »

Currency and conversion rates is a thing businesses have to deal with (and can make a huge impact on profitability) so i dont see why it shouldn't be in as an optional setting.
buells
Level 4 user

Post by buells »

I wouldn't say currencies have a huge impact on profitability. Currency movements can impact the value of overseas earnings in a company's reporting currency. These effects are usually considered transitory and unpredictable. The only real decision companies make on this is whether to hedge their impact. In terms of currency "competitiveness," this can have a big impact on profitability. The strong Swiss Franc is bad for Swiss exporters and good for companies that sell foreign goods into Switzerland. However, again, I haven't seen an explanation of how this can be added in as not just some randomness but something that actually makes the game more interesting by causing the player to make strategic decisions on that basis. If it just adding micromanagement or making some very obvious choice again and again, I don't think it adds much.