Bank Capital Ratio ALWAYS Falls

Banking and Finance DLC for Capitalism Lab
framedarchitecture

Bank Capital Ratio ALWAYS Falls

Post by framedarchitecture »

Why? I'm using all defaults for B&F DLC. I've injected over 271 million into the bank since it opened over a year ago. This doesn't make sense.... what can I do to make this bank just WORK wthout a stupid popup every 3 seconds and draining all my profits from my company?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Bank Capital Ratio ALWAYS Falls

Post by David »

Please see: https://www.capitalismlab.com/banking-d ... uirements/

Options for Handling Insufficient Bank Capital Ratio
If you find the alert window prompting you to increase the bank capital ratio popping up too frequently and you prefer a more passive way of receiving the notification, you may change the notification mode as described below. (click the above link to see the details)
framedarchitecture

Post by framedarchitecture »

I understand the Bank Capital Ratio and its requirements. I also understand the game's mechanism for dealing with the problem and how to avoid the popups. But a bank sitting around not making loans isn't going to do me any good.

My question was about GAME MECHANISMS I can manipulate to ensure my bank actually meets its requirements, won't require constant capital and makes loans. I mean, if my bank is making 10s of millions in profit every month surely the people working there can figure out how to meet regulatory requirements without contacting the CEO of their holding company every day.

So the only way I've found of dealing with this so far is to drastically reduce depositors' interest rate way below competitors' rates. That means my bank loses market share... lose lose.
bawbag

Post by bawbag »

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a balance thing but I noticed if you start a new game, build a bank and some branches, disable deposits then unpause the game, the AI corps will still be able to make bank deposits. I can't be sure but it looks like it may also accept deposits from corps when the capital ratio is below threshold, leading to negative equity very quickly as interest payments stack up without any new loans issued to offset it.

In general I've been finding it quite difficult to run a bank, either I have to micromanage disabling deposits so the ratio doesn't get too low along with buying bonds/div stocks to offset the interest or I need to put in tens of billions of capital into it before it'll stop losing money over time.
beamthegreat
Level 3 user

Post by beamthegreat »

Your capital ratio goes down because more people are depositing money into the bank. This problem only happens with smaller banks with high growth and one way to fix this is to reduce the deposit interest rate until people stop depositing, which also increases your profit margins. But you will have to constantly adjust the interest to perfectly balance the deposits otherwise you run the risk of people withdrawing their money which will cause a cash shortage.
Samarkand_Merchant

Post by Samarkand_Merchant »

As of now there is a button located in the overview screen of your bank hq to stop new deposits from branch customers.

I think it is necessary at the beginning of the game to stop new deposits until your loan-to-asset ratio stabilize, then allow new deposits again.

This has kept my bank consistently profitable, but very slow growth