Population Growth Problems

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
Keither
Level 3 user

Population Growth Problems

Post by Keither »

I can't wait to buy the add-on package. One of the biggest problem that need to be fixed is the lack of population growths. I've observed decline in population in almost all cities but couldn't pinpoint the cause. I also think players will benefit from having real population stats. It seems that there is a ceiling number for city populations in the game.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Population Growth Problems

Post by David »

We have implemented the following new simulation module into the game regarding city dynamics:

A city’s population stops growing or grows very slowly if
• When the housing supply is considerably lower than housing demand, people will have problems finding houses and they will stop migrating into the city, and some people may emigrate from the city.

• When the unemployment rate is high and people are having a hard time finding jobs, they may move out from the city.

A city’s population growth is supported by
• Low unemployment rate

• Apartment buildings with good access to community and sports facilities, providing housing to new immigrants.

• Quality of living of the city. People enjoy their lives better when they live in apartments with good access to community and sports facilities, a green environment and good shopping convenience.
David

Post by David »

You can strategically build community and sport facilities as well as retail stores around the residential areas to improve people’s quality of living, which will promote population growth and will eventually benefit your products’ sales thanks to a larger population of consumers.

See the below screenshots - the city's quality of living has been improving in the past decades. Coupled with a reasonable unemployment rate, the city population has enjoyed modest growth over a long period of time.
Attachments
city view 1.jpg
city view 1.jpg (791.84 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
city report 1.jpg
city report 1.jpg (639.99 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
Keither
Level 3 user

Post by Keither »

Wow, I'm speechless. Great job David. I can't wait to get my hand on the add-on. I have no doubt it will be one of the most realistic business simulation game.
David

Post by David »

Thanks, Keither.

We are getting close to starting the beta-testing. After adding the new features, there are the processes of testing it, balancing the gameplay and finally program the AI to make use of the new features, in a smart way.

It is possible that we may just start the first round of beta-testing without finishing the AI so that you and other Cap2 users can get a hold of the beta sooner. And we will continue to work on the AI while you guys are testing the beta.
kie99
Level 4 user

Post by kie99 »

Wow.. that great David..

Can you advise any tentative beta testing? i would like to join as the tester :)

THank you
Inarius
Level 4 user

Post by Inarius »

That's great, David. I hope i will play Capitalism 2 with the addon soon !
McQuach

Post by McQuach »

Kudos to you David. Thanks for tying population growth to unemployment and housing. Hopefully this add-on gets release before the second quarter of 2012.
jtanker37715

Post by jtanker37715 »

David,

The screenshot looks great and great job on all of the economic indicators and in factoring in what can cause population growth and decline. In addition, that is great that you added in "Green Environment". Quick question- Is "Green Environment" impacted by not having factories nearby and by having parks and community facilities nearby? Could you enlighten me on what would change that?

Everything looks very promising.
David

Post by David »

About Green Rating:

Keep a distance between this apartment and other buildings, specially factories and mines. Sport facilities and parks will help too.