Is there some script/mod to be able to control resources?

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
loldude101

Is there some script/mod to be able to control resources?

Post by loldude101 »

I loved Cap2 because I could be an oil baron, locking up every oil field except my own and jacking up the price. This isn't allowed in vanilla Cap Lab so I'm wondering if there's still some way to do it, especially now with the introduction of scripts and mods.

Also, how do I completely get rid of seaport?
anjali
Level 4 user

Re: Is there some script/mod to be able to control resources

Post by anjali »

the changes to the ressources were made in order to prevent you from "cheating you rich" by blocking all ressources and skyhigh the prices. its still possible to an extend if you disable all seaports per script to have no industrial imports, and block the land around all ressources and just put up a single mine each product but thats not really the sense of the game. due to the high costs of rawmaterials its even more profitable to let the AI set up the mines and you suck their mines dry with the use of warehouses and produce with this AI ressources as the AI does not charge for the landcost when selling ressources (i.e. timber sold at 0.40 whilest you need to charge about $1.00 per unit to break even on a logging camp. or gold needs to be sold at $500 and higher to break even, depends on quality
loldude101

Post by loldude101 »

anjali wrote:the changes to the ressources were made in order to prevent you from "cheating you rich" by blocking all ressources and skyhigh the prices. its still possible to an extend if you disable all seaports per script to have no industrial imports, and block the land around all ressources and just put up a single mine each product but thats not really the sense of the game. due to the high costs of rawmaterials its even more profitable to let the AI set up the mines and you suck their mines dry with the use of warehouses and produce with this AI ressources as the AI does not charge for the landcost when selling ressources (i.e. timber sold at 0.40 whilest you need to charge about $1.00 per unit to break even on a logging camp. or gold needs to be sold at $500 and higher to break even, depends on quality
Do you mind linking me to the no-seaports script? I can't find it. How do you "block the land all ressources" in Cap Lab?
Hans_Lemurson
Level 2 user

Post by Hans_Lemurson »

I'm pretty sure you can just set the number of seaports to be Zero. Am I wrong?

If that doesn't work, you can just set the seaports to 1 per city, and turn off the cycling of goods, so that you can guarantee that only a fixed number of resource types can ever be imported.
anjali
Level 4 user

Post by anjali »

yes in any script you can enter the following part:
[Imports]
Consumer Goods Seaports=0-4
Industrial Goods Seaports=0-4
Constant Import Supply=No/Yes
Import Quality=Low/Moderate/High

to determine the amount of seaports, and flow/quality of imports
loldude101

Post by loldude101 »

Is there any way to prevent the AI from building a mine on a resource (so I can monopolize the resource)?
Hans_Lemurson
Level 2 user

Post by Hans_Lemurson »

I believe the ability to place buildings or buy land near a resource-node was deliberately removed so as to prevent easy resource denial and monopolization. The only things stopping a player from building a mine is a lack of money, lack of interest, or lack of time (other guy built it before you).

Setting up a resource monopoly will require careful planning and a lot of capital. You will in many cases need to spend money snatching up mines that will be unproductive for years while you wait for your opponent's reserves to get depleted.

In my experience, the most valuable thing to do with a monopoly on a resource is not to jack up the price, but rather to refuse to sell to anybody and give yourself an artificial monopoly on all consumer end-products that require your input. Trying to become an Oil Baron will be quite hard, since the default prices for most resources is greatly undervalued, and the AI responds to demand exceeding supply by simply going out of business or leaving that market.
anjali
Level 4 user

Post by anjali »

Hans_Lemurson wrote:I believe the ability to place buildings or buy land near a resource-node was deliberately removed so as to prevent easy resource denial and monopolization. The only things stopping a player from building a mine is a lack of money, lack of interest, or lack of time (other guy built it before you).
you can still block the land around the ressources even in the dlc beta. a solution for this would be to increase the picture of the ressource icon from 1x1 to 2x2 tiles and reduces the mineral spot from 3x3 to 2x2 and mines down to 2x2 tiles that way you would be unable to block the mining spot with land purchases as you can not buy land blocked by the icon. example for this is diamonds in real world mod which has a 2x2 icon. as long as this change isnt executed, the land purchase in conjunction with removing the industrial seaports via script will always make you able to monopolize every ressource.

Hans_Lemurson wrote: In my experience, the most valuable thing to do with a monopoly on a resource is not to jack up the price, but rather to refuse to sell to anybody and give yourself an artificial monopoly on all consumer end-products that require your input. Trying to become an Oil Baron will be quite hard, since the default prices for most resources is greatly undervalued, and the AI responds to demand exceeding supply by simply going out of business or leaving that market.
aye ressource standard price is about 1/3 of the actual cost for mining/harvesting it and only your subsidiaries gonna pay this prices everyone else gonna stop production of those ressources involved mostlikely. therefore its only worth starting a mine if you can utilize it and resssources like wood dont have enough output to even supply your own factories anyway as it needs about 3 looging camps to fully supply your factories for 1 town if you got all wood demanding facilities up n running. training beyond level 4 is pointless too as the logging camp gonna run out soon after lvl 4 is achieved.

but hell if ya want ressource monopoly, you can just play with yaself and have 0 competitors or only your own subs to compete with you. or just use a trainer and give ya endless cash and sell everything at $0.01 to end customer.

i rather set up warehouses and buy/store their ressources and use for my own production. its much cheaper then setting up a mine of my own. only silver / gold / diamonds n timber i run myself to ensure proper supply. as mines are neccessary evil and theres no profit to make with it. ofcourse you can say ... hell i made 28 million profit regarding balancesheet until the mine exhausted. but this 28 million profit is not enough to cover the land purchase + mine setup which was probably around 40-50 million