Warehouse

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
jondonnis
Level 5 user

Warehouse

Post by jondonnis »

Can't remember if I've asked this before, has anyone got warehouses to make money? As in I have a farm making wool that isn't selling so I'm storing in a warehouse and trying to sell it from the warehouse. But, from what I can remember I've never got anyone to buy from the warehouse. Warehouse isn't set to internal only.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Warehouse

Post by eleaza »

jondonnis wrote:Can't remember if I've asked this before, has anyone got warehouses to make money? As in I have a farm making wool that isn't selling so I'm storing in a warehouse and trying to sell it from the warehouse. But, from what I can remember I've never got anyone to buy from the warehouse. Warehouse isn't set to internal only.
IIRC, there are only 2 products in the non-modded core game required wool as raw materials: socks and sweaters. So unless there are AI factories producing these 2 products, you won't get "AI customers" (so watch out for Apparel and Footwear expertise AIs, but the demand might not be big enough even if there are). And if there are seaport import wool, that would be very difficult to compete, even more difficult if there are other AI wool farms. The only chance would be during off season where wool "might" have extreme shortage, and AI "might" switch sources (those are 2 big "IF"s, wool is a tough semi-product to sell as a wholesaler). Normally it's much better to produce the wool related products your own and sell them on your own retails (and you will definitely need warehouse for wool to supply your own factories to survive the off-season shortage)
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
jondonnis
Level 5 user

Post by jondonnis »

Ah OK thanks. Has anyone successfully had items they made and sold them from warehouse to the AI successfully?

Wish we had someone who was good with all the aspects of the game that could do interesting "Lets Plays" for it. If I understood all the business aspects I would but unfortunately I've never fully understood all the game or how to run business' well. I always stick to what I know. Start off with farms selling frozen goods with high training so get the quality up. Normally always a money spinner.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

jondonnis wrote:Ah OK thanks. Has anyone successfully had items they made and sold them from warehouse to the AI successfully?
It's extremely easy if you just put retail product through warehouses. Think of yourself as an "internal seaport", providing goods locally. As long as you don't compete with existing seaport goods or other AIs' products and the price set in warehouse make the overall rating good enough to compete with local over all rating, they will sell like hot cakes. Of course you can sell directly from the factory, but warehouse make the fluctuation less and easier to scale up production, as well as easier to manage. Selling semi-product or raw materials through warehouses are more challenging, since you need to know what downstream demands from AIs not "citizen customers".
jondonnis wrote: Wish we had someone who was good with all the aspects of the game that could do interesting "Lets Plays" for it. If I understood all the business aspects I would but unfortunately I've never fully understood all the game or how to run business' well. I always stick to what I know. Start off with farms selling frozen goods with high training so get the quality up. Normally always a money spinner.
I think there used to be a website for fan business reports, ask WilliamMGary, but I don't think it works anymore. There are some youtube let's play be mostly very old ones.

As for business guidance or tutorials? you could ask anything, I'm happy to help. But mostly I feel it's just experiences and play with the old CapII, or even Cap Plus. Especially the CapII campaigns, they are somewhat easier and if you can beat them easily, you will probably do OK in CapLab.

Pasture product (the meat stuff) are easy picking but they will stop being viable as the difficulty increases, especially when number of competitors are increased to a point where there are many high farming expertise AI CEOs taken all the pasture product markets in the first year. However they are hard to be saturated, and can always be beaten with low price without brand rating (no ads needed whatsoever, the low entry and low "cost" are double edge swords). And as "easy-to-produce" as they are, the profit isn't great and building farms are expensive at the beginning, especially difficult if the starting capital is low, you'll have to pick and choose, and not able to do all the businesses at once (even if you have very high starting capital, it's not possible to do them all)

Another "interesting" or "fun way" to learn tricks is to role-play the game, instead of sticking to what you know. Like roleplaying as an in-game Coca Cola company, or Mars candy selling snacks, even acting like Walmart purely retailing (or advanced one like mining company or even tech company with pure OEM, and no retail, even Intel like company only sells semi-products - that is a very difficult one). I think some of the "scenarios" in CapLab are like that, but you can make your own house rules easier and have much more freedom as long as you are roleplaying (and it's why CapII campaigns are good start, since they usually have much "focused" starting goals and "stories")
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me