[MOD] Modern World - Complex manufacturing mod

Discussions about modding and share your mods with other players in this forum.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Re: [MOD] Modern World - Complex manufacturing mod

Post by saffgee »

If I remember rightly, I increased the demand for computers, etc to be more in line with RL. Admittedly this will unbalance the supply side a bit for high demand items, but it should still work fairly well. I do have Giga factories which should allow for a lot more production, especially if you are using a script to increase it - are you using the Giga's ? I also use warehouses a lot to manage the goods flow better, which is just a simple way of chaining multiple factories together into one supply point and ensuring supply is constant. Are you using multiple floors and selling computers in each slot in these malls ? 18-30 mil seems low especially considering how much you can hike the price up if you are the only one selling them.....
Beyond that I can of course just reduce demand again if its too high, but I'll play test a bit and see if there is indeed an issue with it. The problem may also have been the lack of local competition, which tends to skew the view of the total market in game, making it hard to stress test properly. It's indeed quite possible its way overdone, I'll check.
What is definitely the case though is that there are economies of scale in the production process itself, so some parts can easily supply to multiple factories and not run out - at least here there should be some space savings to be had.

I do know there was an issue with cars in this new version, which is why I added a new outlet building for that - I can easily do the same for computers (to bridge the gap between computer stores and malls), but of course your problem here is primarily supply and not demand (at least for now).
threepwoodmac

Post by threepwoodmac »

Okay thanks for answer will try some of that. I thought the large factory that has a monthly cost of 600 k produced more then giga factory that has a monthly cost of 300 k?
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

It currently looks like this:

Essentially the Giga factory is 50% bigger than the Huge factory and the principal advantage of the higher setup cost high tech factory is its space saving size. The chemical plant is sort of an inbetweener, but it is also value for money when you consider its footprint. I will be simplifying this in the next edition, as David told me the original factories cannot be removed (and thus could not be edited), however with the global factory modifier now a reality, I can lose all the in between factory types and focus on the high tech and giga versions.

Bear in mind that the costs listed here are then adjusted by inflation, wealth, etc when in game, but their relationships to each other will stay constant (ie Giga will always be the largest factory I have). IF you are seeing this differently, can you please report it as this is likely a bug with the global factory modifier (ie it is affecting the pre-fab factory types, but not the ones I added).
Brutus
Level 4 user

Post by Brutus »

Hey bro great mod. Love some of the stuff you've added.

I was wondering why the ''Compact Car'' requires twice as many sub-components compared to the ''Mid Size Car'' yet sells for like half the price or something. :?

At a first glance, you wouldn't realize it since if you look at ''Compact Car'' it says it uses a ''Small Chassis'', ''Small Body'' and ''Small Interior'' however the ''Small'' Versions actually use twice as much sub-components as the '' Mid Size'' versions. :| Did you mix these two up somehow? Since the ''Large'' versions all seem to appropriately use 3 x the component unit input.

For example:

''Small Body'' uses:
  • 2 units of Body Components
    2 units of Car Frame
    2 units of Finishing
While

''Mid Size Body'' uses:
  • 1 unit of Body Components
    1 unit of Car Frame
    1 Unit of Finishing
The same mistake is made with the ''Small Chassis'' and the ''Small Interior'' all using about twice the amount of units compared to the ''Mid Sized Chassis '' and the ''Mid Sized Interior. Version MODWORLDv104

[EDIT] I also just now noticed that the ''Compact Car'' quality weight has 90% raw material quality and only 10% product quality ... this doesn't seem right or even close to being in line with the other car products.

Also this may be a bit of a big request but would it be possible to obtain the source files? If possible upload the unpacked files to moddb or share them with the community?

I'm (hopefully) making a capitalism plus versions which tries to remain as true to the original while keeping things relatively simple but some things I'd like to expand upon slightly but not go to some of the crazy extends as you have done in your mod. I also have no intentions of stealing your hype or concept but would like to keep mostly images and products consistent between mods if possible for the users ease and you have some good quality stuff, so why not use what is good already? Also I particularly really dig your chemical images for example. I'd really love to use some of the files you have in your mod and use it for inspiration. I'll give you full credit of course 8-)

Anyway take care and good work! :ugeek:
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

Well I hope you are using v2.0 as that's the one that matters now.
However, regardless of version, you actually just fell into my carefully laid trap.....in fact its precisely the other way around; the mid size car uses exactly 50% more material than the compact car.
The full lines read: 3 units of small body = 2 + 2 + 2 and for mid-size its 1 unit = 1 + 1 + 1 - you didn't read how many units were being built in each case...
This same logic is applied to the chassis and interior.

In fact it is a design principle that "units" do not so much represent one item of something, but rather an investment in that particular thing. So for example for motorbikes, each Touring motorcycle uses 1 Engine, the Cross motorbike uses 2 and the sports motorbike uses 3 - this shouldn't be understood as that motorbike having 3 engines in it, but rather an expression of how much effort and material goes into producing an engine for it.

On the research point, imo the materials for cars require only minimal research, but high material quality - that seems consistent with the way it is in real life. There isn't much difference between a clio and a golf per se, and it largely comes down to preference, marketing, etc and of course the quality of the build materials. If I'm not mistaken, every end product in the automobile category has an 80/20 split for quality/tech, except for the mid-size that is 65/35 and touring motorcycle which is 70/30. The primary reason for this is that I decided that most of the research would be focussed on the "flagship" product of the categories. Again I think the logic there is fairly consistent.

Primarily though, this renewed focus on materials across all of the product chains is due to the fact that in the later iterations of my Mod, new tech will become the dominant way to research things. In other words cars will need galvanised steel, MacPherson suspension, aerodynamic streamlining, and various other techs before they can be built. This will allow for better and better versions of the products down through the decades as new research items become available. Ultimately this is simply a different approach to how research matters in game, in that actually inventing something is far more important than pushing some abstract number up to keep ahead of the AI.

In my vision of the game, having the tech to make something should not be a great differentiator (eg. having Shampoo researched to a 980 level vs everyone else's 30, is a very "gamey" mechanic); what is far more important is how well your production chain is organised, the quality and cost of the materials you are using and your pricing and marketing strategy. Complex products that require a lot of pre-reqs and difficulty levels (individual tech requirements can be set quite high, eg. you can make an Automobile at Engine tech 30, but you can't make a sports car until you reach engine tech 120) will be the way to simulate the higher investment and time cost of complex items. Example: Mobile phones will require only basic techs in the fields of mobile telephony, radio signals, production tech ,etc, whereas Smart phones will require significant research investment into many of the computer branches, bluetooth, wireless networks and all the other techy goodness that is needed to make such products - and they will need this at progressively higher levels based on which generation tech it is. These techs will become available over time and at pre-determined historical moments and in this way, a persistent and consistent historical mod can unfold really nicely. The only reason the new techs were not included in the 2.0 version is because Enlight needed to build a patch first to fix a problem with the tech setup and I had no idea when they would fix it....turns out they were very quick and released it within days of me releasing my mod, so rest assured this new tech approach will be added in v2.1 for sure.

As for the files, I can certainly send those to you, but I do like to know who is getting them, so please just PM me and I will send you a link.
Brutus
Level 4 user

Post by Brutus »

saffgee wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:02 pm Well I hope you are using v2.0 as that's the one that matters now.
v104 is the latest linked version on the first page of this thread and the only one found on moddb through the link .... nooo ... hmmm wait I'm wrong again ... there is a V2.0 up there on moddb since the beginning of this month it seems ... I shall download it immediately good sir! 8-)

[You may want to update the first page if that is possible and add the v2.0 link there instead of the old version since it is not advocated to be used currently)
However, regardless of version, you actually just fell into my carefully laid trap.....in fact its precisely the other way around; the mid size car uses exactly 50% more material than the compact car.
The full lines read: 3 units of small body = 2 + 2 + 2 and for mid-size its 1 unit = 1 + 1 + 1 - you didn't read how many units were being built in each case...
This same logic is applied to the chassis and interior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hHS1fVaqNs

Oof ... you are totally right ... you got me ... this is the 2nd time this gimmick has gotten me. First time was with the photography products in the default game where it starts outputting 2 compact/digital cameras instead of 1 regular camera and I just couldn't figure out the inputs lol. I blame my poor eye sight alright! 8-) My deepest apologies good sir! You outplayed me. :ugeek: *starts wiping his glasses frantically*

I definitely think you have a good design philosophy for the game and I think it is a more interesting one than vanilla and much closer to reality. Now that I've downloaded v2.0 I can see what you meant with the raw material quality being a bigger part for the automobiles. v104's Compact cars were just an outlier it seems, perhaps an early test case? In any case all the automobile products are now in line with each other and the overall design philosophy. Due to the large amount of sub components required for the production of cars it makes much more sense to have the raw materials being a much bigger factor in determining the overall quality. It would otherwise make little sense to invest in them since you'd get the majority of quality at the end rather than during the whole production process. In essence this makes the production chain have a ''deeper'' quality impact and makes each sub-component much more valuable in the production process. It actually also makes the actual production more tech intensive because you have to spread your tech out over the whole production chain rather than focus on the end product. Excellent idea.

I love it. :D (*me to my worker elves*: write that down write that down!)

Maybe you should ask David if he can change the line of ''Raw Material Quality'' in the Manufacturer's Guide to something more like ''Component Input Quality'' because a lot of components especially in your mod aren't raw materials at all like so many are in the base game and it fits better in my opinion. Anyway that's just me nitpicking at this point lol.

Great work and lovely to see this new v2.0 mod.
As for the files, I can certainly send those to you, but I do like to know who is getting them, so please just PM me and I will send you a link.
I have sent you a PM.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

Brutus wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:55 pm [You may want to update the first page if that is possible and add the v2.0 link there instead of the old version since it is not advocated to be used currently)
Excellent point ! I did start a new thread, but forgot to link the two....
Reaver

Post by Reaver »

There is an annoying bug where if you create a company and then subsidiaries, the main company logo does not show on firms it creates, Instead it shows the subsidiaries logo instead. :(

It looks like the logo is missing for the main company for some reason.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

That sounds like a game bug; I'll ask David.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Reaver wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:07 pm There is an annoying bug where if you create a company and then subsidiaries, the main company logo does not show on firms it creates, Instead it shows the subsidiaries logo instead. :(

It looks like the logo is missing for the main company for some reason.
We will investigate the problem.

Could you please provide us with your save game file and let us know the following?
1) Which version of Capitalism Lab you are using. You can see the version number on the top-right of the main menu.
2) The exact steps for triggering the bug with the save game
3) If your savegame uses a MOD, please let us know the name of the MOD and the MOD's version number.

You can find save game files of Capitalism Lab from the C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\My Games\Capitalism Lab\SAVE

You may provide us with your save game file by posting it here on the forum as a ZIP file attachment or emailing the save game file to us at info@enlight.com.

If your save game file is too large for attachment, you may check out this post about how to send us large files: https://www.enlight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2473