Advertising budget

Subsidiary DLC for Capitalism Lab
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Advertising budget

Post by David »

Therefore subsidiary 1 only buys products from parent company and therefore has none of it's own products to advertise?
Yes, that's the case.
If this is the case may I recommend a patch whereby a subsidiary can advertise other group company products?
You may post your idea on the Suggestions forum.
Also i have a bug bare with the balance sheet with granting money but maybe this should be for a different forum page.
You may post on the Technical Support forum.
buells
Level 4 user

Post by buells »

You have to advertise a product aggressively at first to increase its brand rating. Once the brand rating hits the target, the spending tapers off to more of a normalized maintenance level. If the sub is running corporate brand with the wrong product mix, you can get in a bad situation where you are spending a lot on advertising for no benefit. Thankfully, you can change its brand strategy if you want.
dudetim

Post by dudetim »

Honestly I haven't really played the game since finding this glitch. Today I thought i would check the forum to see what came of my post and would like to say thank you to David for informing me that the glitch is what i thought it was (in that a subsidiary can not advertise a parents products). However, to now write another post on another "suggestions forum" feels to me like I am just jumping through hoops. I identified an issue and contacted the support team on email who informed me they would not help and to raise on the forum. I sign up to the forum and look for a relevant page to be told yes there is a glitch raise another forum, seriously! not impressed currently. If i have raised the issue why is this not just being forwarded. Never mind plenty of other games to play I suppose.
David

Post by David »

For bugs, you could expect fixes within a reasonable time.

For suggested features, since there are so many suggestions by the community, it is important that we prioritize and choose the ones that are most wanted by the community to implement. That's why setting up a poll in the suggestion forum is a fair and effective means towards that.

If you come across a bug, please inform us and we will work on fixing it. But I read your old posts again, it seems that me that you were mentioning a suggestion.
dudetim

Post by dudetim »

Thank you for taking the time to respond again David and I do appreciate your feedback. However, I would say we differ in our opinions of bug and suggestion. As this game is to simulate a business tycoon/empire game and in the real world corporations across the globe set them selves up with company structures whereby a parent or subsidiary company often sell each others products and advertise said products. I would suggest this to be a glitch in that the fact that this is an additional costing subsidiary add on package to the game and therefore not a suggestion more of an oversight on the design of the product, lets say glitch in the design not a bug or suggestion. As I say I think we differ in our opinions of "bug" and "suggestion" and I am sure you will not agree with my position in this matter.
David

Post by David »

Is it common in the real world for a subsidiary company which has other shareholders besides than the parent company (who has the majority stake but does not wholly own the subsidiary) to advertise products of the parent company at its own expenses?

I do not have the answer as I haven't done any research on this. If you have any insights on this, please share your views here.

But it seems to me that the necessity of the requested feature is debatable and there could be more than one perspective to look at it.

That's why I originally recommended that you to set up a poll on the Suggestions form and collect feedback from the community, hopefully a clear verdict will emerge from the discussions. I believe that such a process would benefit everyone.
dudetim

Post by dudetim »

Thank you once again for your response David. I was not trying to frustrate or offend you but it appears as though I have. Yes there are many situations in which a parent company will have it's subsidiaries advertise it's products. For example the parent company of android is Alphabet (this being the parent company of Google) and a lot of google functions come on an android phone i would consider this advertising of this product. There are many complex structures for companies so that separate division or assets can be sold off from the parent company when needed. For example Whitbread in the UK recently sold it's Costa coffee brand to coca cola and I would expect you will see a lot more adverts for costa coffee and coca cola together. IKEA owns a lot of it's own manufacturing and yet advertises it and sells it and J Salisbury's owns a lot of farms to sell in its supermarkets. I am not saying I am fully versed on this by any means but there are many examples of parent companies selling subsidiary products and advertising them.

I truly do not mean offence David I was pointing out a potential oversight in a paid for add on. At this point I will stop responding as I feel this conversation may come across as something more than constructive, sorry if I offended anyone in the community or at enlight, who have done great work.
amitnageshri7

Post by amitnageshri7 »

Umm i just bought the full version + 3 DLCs. I too feel that subs should be allowed to advertise parent company's products.

I would like to have a Retail sub which manages its own P&L and Bal sheet - and advertising cost must be recovered from additional margins earned by the sub - while i manage manufacturing margins in a different sub / at my parent and control that.

Real Life businesses do follow this extensively.
David

Post by David »

I would recommend that you create a poll for your suggestion to gauge the community's interest in it. There would be a higher chance that the dev team will implement them if the interest level is high.

You could see some examples of the polls in the Suggestions forum at http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

For more info about new feature requests evaluation process, please see: http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewto ... =14&t=7052