Real Estate DLC: Shopping Mall

Suggestions for new DLC projects.

Do you like this idea?

Yes
93%
No
5%
I have other suggestions (please post on this thread.)
1%

Total votes: 92

Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Re: Real Estate DLC: Shopping Mall

Post by Arcnor »

I generally like this idea. I think the issues identified could generally be resolved. I am concerned that the AI will just overpopulate these across the city.
buells
Level 4 user

Post by buells »

This is an interesting idea for sure. One lever to prevent the player from supercharging with own stores would be to require some amount of diversity in the stores and products included as a general rule or to get the bonuses. In reality, many malls are struggling, so there should be a potential negative impact vs. base traffic if the mall falls short on the product metrics.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Update: the dev team plans to start working on the Shopping Mall feature after the Banking and Finance DLC is finalized.
PinoX7
Level 2 user

Post by PinoX7 »

A 6x6 base would create a cube with x9 2x2's

There could be a separate Mall menu that has the base structure and other "add ons" that can be dropped into any unoccupied slots.

The center 2x2 would be the base structure features, administration, food court, restrooms, lobby, ect. When you build the mall initially it only starts with the center 2x2 "occupied"

From here the owner can set rent/lease costs, and control other features if implemented. Possibly an option to have rent costs increase/track the foot traffic rate.

There could be options for the owner to build additional add-ons to increase traffic, as well as generate their own revenue apart from rent. As mentioned before, adding a food court, or restrooms and such could add cost but increase traffic making rents higher.

Now there is x8 unoccupied 2x2 surrounding the center. Through the Mall Menu, any company can drop a 2x2 store (which would be mall stores, not retail stores) into an unoccupied block and be prompted with a rental agreement.

From here the store functions quite independently as it would normally, although its traffic is measured by the mall bonus, and it incurs overhead costs related to the rent.
Prof.XIAO

Post by Prof.XIAO »

强烈支持Enlight官方持续开发“购物中心”——以此迎来〔房地产DLC〕的首个新功能,非常感谢! :D
Financial Road CapLab Official Chinese Community
FCT Sinicization Team
QQ Group Number:①817-380-613/②754-365-305/③937-774-944
E-mail:info_fct@163.com
David

Post by David »

I am delighted to announce that the development team has started working on the Shopping Mall feature.

Here is the concept art of the shopping mall building for a sneak peek.
Attachments
Shopping Mall concept art.jpg
Shopping Mall concept art.jpg (362.02 KiB) Viewed 7363 times
mohmaaytah
Level 3 user

Post by mohmaaytah »

Very good news, this has the potential to spice up some strategies and will reduce wasted space that we often had to contend with.
Anathelus

Post by Anathelus »

Arcnor wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:35 am I generally like this idea. I think the issues identified could generally be resolved. I am concerned that the AI will just overpopulate these across the city.
Simple solution, a limit on number of shopping malls per city.
If we are able to buy and sell space to competitors, it would mean you have a chance to at least own a slice of a shopping mall, but if you can be first to build one before the limit is met, you are laughing
Kristo
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by Kristo »

Another idea: instead of limit by number of shoping mall - limit them by time.
What i mean is - when you wanna build 1 Mall, you must first apply for a license from the Goverment. There will be a waiting period for each and every license and only one will be given every 6 months.
This way it'll be faster to just buy an existing Mall instead. Also - every new license will cost more than the previous one.
Apart from that, in order to stop the AI to fill the entire map (and also the players) with real estate, that will make no sense - add licensing in the game, as well as high-tax zones, which will make over-building the city harder.
The same thing can apply to the Mall in the DLC.
Combine that with the zoning, in which certain zone will have limitations - zone A will be for small shops and appartments, zone B - heavy industry and so on...

Remember - there's no limit in building malls in real life, there are other reasons why our cities are not 99% malls...
David

Post by David »

The 3D model of the shopping mall has been completed. Here is how it looks in the game. Hope you like it.

In the coming posts on this thread, I will share with you all the interfaces of the shopping mall.
Attachments
shopping mall city view.png
shopping mall city view.png (2.13 MiB) Viewed 7366 times
Shopping Mall 3D rendering.png
Shopping Mall 3D rendering.png (421.19 KiB) Viewed 7366 times