What NOT to Do?

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
VladimirPutin

What NOT to Do?

Post by VladimirPutin »

I have seen some interesting strategies on this forum on what you could do, but is there a list of anything to keep in mind to not do? Maybe a strat that sounds good on paper but fails in practice? Common pitfalls? Thanks.
Kilo_SSK

Re: What NOT to Do?

Post by Kilo_SSK »

Get your country sanctioned and entrust its economy to oligarchs?
buells
Level 4 user

Post by buells »

I find that in subsidiary DLC, you should not separate retail and manufacturing into different companies for the same value chain. It might be possible to make this work by adjusting options for changing products in retail stores, but the big problem is that the retailer won't advertise the products enough. You could create advertising units to do so, but this seems like dead weight loss to me kind of.

Another thing is that buying up the media firms later in the game can be a losing proposition. If you or others are consolidating industries, there is less competition and aggregate spend on advertising. You may face more competition from new media firms opening up because competitors have accumulated a ton of cash they need to deploy.

In mining, I find the AI tends to overinvest in chemical minerals, aluminum, iron, coal, and silica. Timber, gold, and silver meanwhile are usually undersupplied by late game.
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Post by bdubbs »

In a game with several large cities where you may have 10 large factories making a single product absolutely do not skip out on warehouses as you expand and integrate backwards. Warehouses add to your overall expenses but makes it much easier to just have your factories sell to the warehouse and let your warehouse service your retailers. Its much easier than linking the retailer directly to the factory and trying to juggle how many retailers each factory can handle.

Its even more important in raw goods. If you have 12 factories all connected to a timber mill and it runs dry you'll have to reconnect each purchasing unit to the new timber source when the timber mill runs dry. If the factories were buying timber from a warehouse then you only need to reconnect the purchasing sbu at the warehouse to the new timber source to continue production.

This reminds me of another 100% do not. Do not buy a natural resource deposit for a massive mark up on the land. A strong economy will make all land on the map more expensive over time. A natural resource that was once $80mil could be well over $300mil and those kind of markups will kill your margins. In these situations recessions are probably right around the corner and the land will eventually come back down in value. I'd much rather deal with poor supply and get what I can from rivals, or just eat the temporary operating loss if possible.
jondonnis
Level 5 user

Post by jondonnis »

Don't buy good into a warehouse and have one floor relabelling and then the other floor not and just buying the goods in. Because then when you sell at the store it gets very confusing like it did for me.

The store had the input and relabel. But the product ran out so i choose the warehouse but wondered why it wasn't working. Because it was importing items that where already relabeled so couldn't move them on to sell.