Poll: adding the ability to transfer software firms and Internet firms

Digital Age DLC for Capitalism Lab

What is your opinion about adding the ability to transfer software firms and Internet firms?

Opinion A
71%
Opinion B
29%

Total votes: 21

David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Poll: adding the ability to transfer software firms and Internet firms

Post by David »

What is your opinion about adding the ability to transfer software firms and Internet firms?

[Opinion A] I want to have the ability to transfer software firms and Internet firms even though the technologies are not part of the transfer. Only the physical buildings and the functional units are changed hands during a transfer. I understand that all the projects in the software firms will be terminated upon the execution of a transfer, and the Internet firms may not be functional if the new owner does not possess the requisite technologies. I will take care of the necessary tech acquisition before executing a transfer so that the firms will retain their functions.

[Opinion B] It is more practical to set up software firms and Internet firms from scratch than acquiring existing ones from a subsidiary. It will confuse users if they see software projects getting cancelled and Internet firms stop functioning after the transfer, as described above.
Joubarbe
Level 2 user

Re: Poll: adding the ability to transfer software firms and Internet firms

Post by Joubarbe »

This poll is very biased. So...

[Opinion C] I'm aware that in the real world, a software company can be transferred or bought from another one, and all technologies and licenses are sold as well. I find very weird that it's not the case in the game, and that if I want to sell LucasArts to Disney, I'm not only selling the studios but also the right to make other movies based on the license. Same goes for video games.

And if that's really not possible, yeah, Opinion B of course...
David

Post by David »

The reason why we don't have option C is that we already have a user interface for acquiring tech which is accessible from the HQ.

For consistency and better UI flow, it is important that all tech acquisition to go through that interface, instead of complicating the UI by creating exception cases.

The problem of creating such exception cases is that people may then start to ask why transfering factories would not automatically transfer the manufacturing technologies in the factories too.

So if you choose option A, you could do what you intend to achieve with option C, but just via two separate interfaces - the tech acquisition UI and the firm transfer UI.

If you insist that it will work better to integrate the two interfaces into one, please provide detailed UI flow and layout of the integrated interface that you suggest, and I will add option C to this poll.

I think that the dev team is very open to the ideas from the community. So long as there is a consensus from the community and the improvement is practical with no apparent drawback, they would probably consider them. So you may just go ahead and provide me with the UI details and I will add it to the poll.
Joubarbe
Level 2 user

Post by Joubarbe »

You're right, you're very open and it's very appreciable. Thanks for that. I'm new to this forum, and even though I played a lot of Capitalism 2 years ago, quite new to Capitalism Lab.
So, outside of the box, I would say that transferring any company should transfer all related technologies as well, the technologies (in most cases) being bound to the machines used in the factory (if I have the technology to make transgenic strawberries, that means that I have the physical means to do it). But I'm aware that it would be a radical change. Maybe an option to add the technologies in the financial transaction, a standard checkbox? (and the price would be considerably higher)

I don't know the technical obstacles of the game, but I know for sure that it's generally a bad idea to reduce the gameplay due to technical difficulties.
avengerbg
Level 4 user

Post by avengerbg »

A bit offtopic but, may be also add option to sell/transfer already researched software from one subsidary to another ot to main corporation and vice versa. for ezample if i develope OS with my corporation, to transfer license to produce it to subsidary, or if subsidary researched the software to transfer it to main corporation for production (transfer would be possible only if required tech is invented to nessesery level)
lowkeybavil
Level 3 user

Post by lowkeybavil »

David wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:48 am The reason why we don't have option C is that we already have a user interface for acquiring tech which is accessible from the HQ.

For consistency and better UI flow, it is important that all tech acquisition to go through that interface, instead of complicating the UI by creating exception cases.

The problem of creating such exception cases is that people may then start to ask why transfering factories would not automatically transfer the manufacturing technologies in the factories too.

So if you choose option A, you could do what you intend to achieve with option C, but just via two separate interfaces - the tech acquisition UI and the firm transfer UI.

If you insist that it will work better to integrate the two interfaces into one, please provide detailed UI flow and layout of the integrated interface that you suggest, and I will add option C to this poll.

I think that the dev team is very open to the ideas from the community. So long as there is a consensus from the community and the improvement is practical with no apparent drawback, they would probably consider them. So you may just go ahead and provide me with the UI details and I will add it to the poll.
What i can suggest to option A is that the sale or transfer of firms is not alloawed unless Company B which is buying the software firm has the same level or higher tech than company A so that pject is continued also same goes for internet firm this would essentially be option c in a seimple form
mrgarrettscott
Level 4 user

Post by mrgarrettscott »

The way the poll is looking, no change is upon. I think option A is the best option considering the options offered. I also believe that Joubare makes a good point option C:
[Opinion C] I'm aware that in the real world, a software company can be transferred or bought from another one, and all technologies and licenses are sold as well. I find very weird that it's not the case in the game, and that if I want to sell LucasArts to Disney, I'm not only selling the studios but also the right to make other movies based on the license. Same goes for video games.
If you spin off a software/internet company to subsidiary, technology cost should be figured in if the subsidiary doesn't have it.

David makes this point:
The reason why we don't have option C is that we already have a user interface for acquiring tech which is accessible from the HQ.

It is true, in HQ there is specific interface for acquiring technology. I"m arguing for the cost of the technology that the subsidiary does't have be added to the cost of the transfer. That is behind the scenes math. An example pop-up message could be similar to this: "The cost to acquire the firm and necessary technology is X"

Plus, if you transfer a factory or a retail store to a subsidiary, as long it is doing the same it was doing before the transfer, nothing changes, i.e., you don't lose gained levels unless those levels were gained under a CEO/COO with that specific expertise. Going further, If I transfer an R&D center to subsidiary, does active research stop? No! It should the same for companies born of the Digital Age DLC.
David

Post by David »

FYI, here is what I wrote in my last post:
As soon as someone has provided UI details (including the UI for working with the new Mass Transfer function) that are practical for implementation, I will add it as option C to the poll. Will also reset the poll results so that people can vote again.