Poll: More than one type of software per software firm

Digital Age DLC for Capitalism Lab

Do you want to be able to develop more than one type of software per software firm?

Yes! I should be able to develop Word, NBA 2K, and Norton Anti-Virus in the same software firm as long as I have required technology
91%
No! I like the wasted space of my software firms when software has a shared techology like "office features"
9%

Total votes: 11

mrgarrettscott
Level 4 user

Poll: More than one type of software per software firm

Post by mrgarrettscott »

Currently, we can only have one project manager per software firm. This was also mentioned by the information I found in this thread from 2018 here. So, if I want I want to eventually develop all the software included in the game, I need 20 software firms at a minimum. Add in the RealWorld Mod and that number only goes up.

Why is that? You don't even need to conduct research in the same firm! So, while research progresses in other software firms to maximize space, once the project management unit is created, it prevents any other software from being developed there.

Enlight obviously has some insight on how software development works, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt while requesting a quality of life improvement.

Simply, allow multiple project management units in a software firm.
Swedish Chef

Re: Poll: More than one type of software per software firm

Post by Swedish Chef »

I'd offer a different take, re-train.

As anyone who worked IT for a good number of years could tell you, there is indeed an upper limit of the number of years you'll be looking at the very same project before considering suicide by being mauled to death by rabid badgers as sweet sweet release. But, on the other hand, some projects needs specialized techs given IT evolves very quickly, count between 5 to 10 years as a "generation". Also, it's still quite difficult to get proper techs as demand far exceed supply, especially in some more recent fields.

This taken in, and considering people's careers evolve in real life. Instead of having another project manager, I'd suggest the following :

1- A re-train button for tech, which would open a list of possible fields. If you want it complex, assign a modification value the further away old and new fields are (e.g not that hard from word to spreadsheet, way harder from word to internet security). Once tech are re-trained, which usually would give them a bonus in loyalty, you can reassign your project manager who usually handle the client side.