Banking and Finance DLC: Issues/Ideas

Banking and Finance DLC for Capitalism Lab

What do you think? What would you be interested in?

Set Bank Desired Capital Range Min and Max
16%
Set Bank Desired Earnings Payout 0%-50% of Earnings
16%
Banks Earn Interest on Cash through Reserve Deposit Interest
26%
Banks Earn Interest on Cash through Government Bonds
32%
Insurance Companies can Hold Premiums constant at Selected Level
8%
Other Post Below
3%

Total votes: 38

standardplayer
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Banking and Finance DLC: Issues/Ideas

Post by standardplayer »

Just got the Banking and Finance DLC today:

Banks:

Bank Issue:
For Banks their is a interface input that allows you to stop new deposits or loans so that you can wind down the bank. My banks deposits keep growing so fast that they cannot keep up with my capital so I keep having to input more capital which i don't have unless i obtain it from other businesses or stop new deposits which causes them to decline which hurts game play.

Potential Solution:
Can the team add a interface input that allows you to set your desired capital range and payout that would only allow the level of deposits and loans to grow if your capital falls within that range after a deduction for a Quarterly earnings payout (0%-50% Earnings)? If you meet the max loan demand and/or had capital that exceeded the top of range for 30+ days it could also automatically pay out the excess capital as a special dividend to help maintain your desired return on equity.

Example:
Set Desired Capital Range: (Central Bank Required Capital 7%)
*Minimum: 10%
*Maximum: 12%
Set Desired Payout: 34% Earnings

Bank Ideas:
1) Hold All or Part of Bank Cash in Central Bank Reserve Account that pays minimal interest
2) Allow Banks to Invest a small Portion of their Cash in Government Bonds.

Insurance Companies:

Can there be an interface input for insurance companies that allows you to hold your premiums at a certain selected level so that you can maximize your returns otherwise you keep accumulating so much reserves that all you can invest in is government bonds that pay nothing and you have trouble keeping up with customer wait times?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Banking and Finance DLC: Issues/Ideas

Post by David »

standardplayer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:01 am My banks deposits keep growing so fast that they cannot keep up with my capital so I keep having to input more capital which i don't have unless i obtain it from other businesses or stop new deposits which causes them to decline which hurts game play.
FYI: The game currently provides you with an option to mitigate it. Please see the details on the Capitalism Lab web site: https://www.capitalismlab.com/banking-d ... uirements/

Options for Handling Insufficient Bank Capital Ratio

If you find the alert window prompting you to increase the bank capital ratio popping up too frequently and you prefer a more passive way of receiving the notification, you may change the notification mode as described below.

2) Notification Only

If this mode is selected, the game will stop issuing loans and notify you via the Event Tracker.

In other words, when the Bank Capital Ratio falls below the requirement, it will no longer pop up the alert window forcing you to inject capital to your bank. It will do the following two things instead:

a) It will stop issuing new loans and display an icon on the Overall page and Loans page of the bank informing you about it, as shown in the below screenshots.
standardplayer
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by standardplayer »

David wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:17 am
standardplayer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:01 am My banks deposits keep growing so fast that they cannot keep up with my capital so I keep having to input more capital which i don't have unless i obtain it from other businesses or stop new deposits which causes them to decline which hurts game play.
FYI: The game currently provides you with an option to mitigate it. Please see the details on the Capitalism Lab web site: https://www.capitalismlab.com/banking-d ... uirements/

Options for Handling Insufficient Bank Capital Ratio

If you find the alert window prompting you to increase the bank capital ratio popping up too frequently and you prefer a more passive way of receiving the notification, you may change the notification mode as described below.

2) Notification Only

If this mode is selected, the game will stop issuing loans and notify you via the Event Tracker.

In other words, when the Bank Capital Ratio falls below the requirement, it will no longer pop up the alert window forcing you to inject capital to your bank. It will do the following two things instead:

a) It will stop issuing new loans and display an icon on the Overall page and Loans page of the bank informing you about it, as shown in the below screenshots.
Oh I did not realize that it was setup to work that way.

I still think it would be good to have the option to hold deposits and loans constant at a specified capital range that exceeds the minimum requirement and regularly payout a portion of earnings or some other option that allows you to better manage return on equity, bank size, growth, etc. Mature Banks typically carefully manage their return on equity, pay out ~1/3 of their earnings, etc.

What if you want to quickly grow a bank to a certain level and hold it constant or reduce growth so you don't have to constantly build new branches and instead just service a steady or slow growing customer base with high quality service (no long wait times) and begin regular earnings payouts?
ukrlex
Level 3 user

Post by ukrlex »

Hello,
I have a question about Banking and finance DLC. I made all the game settings for reality and it turned out that the bank and the branch accept deposits, but in general they do not give loans to anyone. In addition, banks of other players do not accept deposits from companies. Is it the game issue or ... ?
Sure, I may change the settings and delete realism, but... I like when the game became more realistic.
Could explain me it, please?
David

Post by David »

ukrlex wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:26 pm Hello,
I have a question about Banking and finance DLC. I made all the game settings for reality and it turned out that the bank and the branch accept deposits, but in general they do not give loans to anyone. In addition, banks of other players do not accept deposits from companies. Is it the game issue or ... ?
Sure, I may change the settings and delete realism, but... I like when the game became more realistic.
Could explain me it, please?
Please see the section about "Realistic Loan Demand" on https://www.capitalismlab.com/banking-d ... -settings/
ukrlex
Level 3 user

Post by ukrlex »

Ok. Thank you.
ukrlex
Level 3 user

Post by ukrlex »

Hello,
It seems to me that something is wrong with the settings for realism.
Example (see attached image):
GDP: + more than 2%.
Bank pays deposit interests more than $ 3,500 M.
Total loans: 0
Total bank income: 0

The Bank has more than $ 30,000 M, 5 % of bank market, uses massive advertisement and does not make ever $1.

I think it is not realism...
Attachments
000111.jpg
000111.jpg (627.01 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
David

Post by David »

There is a bug with Realistic Loan Demand when the CES DLC is not enabled. The bug has been fixed in the latest version 6.5.13.
Vladko

Post by Vladko »

Do you guys know why it is so expensive to set up Insurance Company in the beginning? I just don't have enough cash, so I need to issue capital straight away. Cost of Insurance Company is like 150 mln, but I only have around 50 mln maximum. Anybody knows how to decrease cost of this building?
David

Post by David »

Vladko wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:57 pm Do you guys know why it is so expensive to set up Insurance Company in the beginning? I just don't have enough cash, so I need to issue capital straight away. Cost of Insurance Company is like 150 mln, but I only have around 50 mln maximum. Anybody knows how to decrease cost of this building?
You can set the "Your Start-up Capital" setting to "Very High" on the new game settings menu to increase your start-up capital from $50 million to $500 million. And make sure that you have turned off "Realistic Money Supply" on the "Others" page of Banking and Finance new game settings, otherwise it will decrease the start-up capital amount.