Money disappearing when buying public commercial buildings[resolved]

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
Pietro
Mod Contributor
Mod Contributor

Money disappearing when buying public commercial buildings[resolved]

Post by Pietro »

Hello !

I am playing a survival game and there is a behaviour that seem an error or a problem in the game, I pay 60 million with my corporation to buy a commercial building to my city, and the city only receive 17 million.

Here is how it look like :
missingFund1s.jpg
missingFund1s.jpg (812.83 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
missingFund2s.jpg
missingFund2s.jpg (895.13 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
missingFund3s.jpg
missingFund3s.jpg (800.19 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
missingFund4s.jpg
missingFund4s.jpg (903.36 KiB) Viewed 4525 times

I have made a circle in picture 2 with 298% GDP growth. Maybe this is the cause of the problem ? I notice the very high price of 95.44$. I think it is related to the 298 growth, because if i let the game run until 1 February 1993, then the GDP growth is only 18%, and the new market rent is around 15$ when the building is in better location.

During 1 year ( from february 1992 to february 1993 ) the prices are very very high ( because of my behavior in previous year ? ) , when an appartment is built it gets 600% value instantly. The rent are very very high too and this effect last for several years before the new rents with new prices are represented for example i have a commercial building with 174$ annual rent per square foot, it need 8 to 10 years to go down before the prices are around 25$ which is the normal price. ( in 1990 and 1991 and for every new building whose rents where all started after february 1993 when the GDP growth figures is not 298% but 2-20%).

Also at the end of the pictures, the city has made 10 millions but those are not reported in the income sheet. Only the balance sheet reflect what is happening : business asset are reported missing, and cash is added, 7 million worth of business asset is removed, and 17 million cash is added.

It seem to me that the city is adding 10 million to the market value before selling the building, but only receive 10 million and the building cost.

( this happened with the release version 7.1.20 all dlc and a custom mod i'm working on )
Last edited by Pietro on Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: [bug?] Money disappearing when buying public commercial buildings

Post by David »

We will investigate the problem.

Could you please provide us with your save game file and let us know the following?
1) Which version of Capitalism Lab you are using. You can see the version number on the top-right of the main menu.
2) The exact steps for triggering the bug with the save game
3) If your savegame uses a MOD, please let us know the name of the MOD and the MOD's version number.

You can find save game files of Capitalism Lab from the C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\My Games\Capitalism Lab\SAVE

You may provide us with your save game file by posting it here on the forum as a ZIP file attachment or emailing the save game file to us at info@enlight.com.

If your save game file is too large for attachment, you may check out this post about how to send us large files: https://www.enlight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2473
Pietro
Mod Contributor
Mod Contributor

Post by Pietro »

I have sent the savefile and the mod at info@enlight.com.

The behavior is observed using version 7.1.20

The exact steps for replication are those on the pictures , namely :

1) construct a commercial building with the only city available in the savefile while the time is paused, there are zooned area available.
2) Put this commercial building to sale whithout unpausing
3) Buy this commercial building with the only corporation available in the savefile.

More money is spent than received. The city receive less money than what the infobox is saying. The corporation pay the price indicated on the infobox.

I put the whole map "not for sale" to prevent AI from doing anything, and I abused the bond market to generate cash with the easiest settings i could find in order to test all products at the same time in survival mode. This has lead to those crazy GDP growth numbers.
Pietro
Mod Contributor
Mod Contributor

Post by Pietro »

I have another save where it is occuring with several cities, but this time with more legitimate methods :

Using capitalism lab post release version 8.0.04 and a similar version of the previous mod with minor changes on building numbers. I can send the new save and the new mod version if it can help investigate the issue or reasons i ignore just let me know i don't want to spam otherwise.

In order to replicate the high GDP figures, one has to do nothing with a new city during almost 3 years, setting the land "not for sale" to prevent any spending of money while letting the AI develop during 3 years in other cities. Only in november the 3rd year, build 1 shop in the target city. This will result in a year with a GDP of very little money in "consumption" and "investment", and nothing in "governement spending"

Then next year, build the civics, and apartments and commercial buildinds, and let the AI get in the city.

This look like this :
GDP++.jpg
GDP++.jpg (804.46 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
I assume at this point something went wrong because then the amount of money paid by the corporation and the amount of money received by the city when privatizing public building started to diverge in all cities and it was not the case when there was only 2 city for the previous 30 years.

The real estate "market rent" figures are also incredibly high during this year :
RENT++.jpg
RENT++.jpg (861.38 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
In this case, the corporation pays around 159 millions for the building but the city only receive around 25 millions, which is still more than the 7 million the city invested but this is not a very efficient money laundering system for the corporation.
David

Post by David »

The bug has been fixed. Please download the latest patch v8.0.09 from https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewt ... f=7&t=8732
Pietro
Mod Contributor
Mod Contributor

Re: [bug] Money disappearing when buying public commercial buildings[resolved]

Post by Pietro »

Good to hear !

I have downloaded the latest patch and at first i thought the mod was not loading.

Then i realised it is because I was loading in windowed mod. with a resolution of 1024x768.

The same problem occur in fullscreen 1024x768 :
1024TOOSMOL.jpg
1024TOOSMOL.jpg (414.99 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
The problem (i think) is because the mod add many buildings and there is not enough space on the screen with 1024x768 to show all. 40 apartment is ok because it fits in 4x10 column, but 41 apartment shows the error only with 1024x768 resolution.

[EDIT :] Not correct The error still occur in 1024x768 with 37 apartment. I am now suspecting that some of the images i removed to reduce to 40 were too large. The latest version of the mod has less than 40 apartment, but doesn't launch in 1024x768, only 1600x900.

The same mod load ok without the error when the resolution is 1600x900 for example. In this case there is enough room for 6 column of buildings.

It is unrelated to previous report but i discovered this when updating the version i thought it was of some interest.

I will play with the newer version now that i can launch a game and will try to privatize building again to test :)
David

Post by David »

Hi Pietro,

I asked the programmer and he told me that there is a limitation that the width/height of the building image cannot exceed the game screen width/height.

He loaded your mod and found that one of the buildings have a height > 768, thus causing the error.
Pietro
Mod Contributor
Mod Contributor

Post by Pietro »

Very good to know the reason !

I started to try and see which is the faulty building.

I used the image of the Bank_HQ as a base for the tallest building because the Bank_HQ is 800x1600 so some of them i looked first.

And when i look at the building i think is the tallest it is only 661 px, that is the one called 22GIANT1 the hyper tall commercial building. I must have done something wrong elswhere because i tested without this building and it didn't work.

I realized i had a mistake for the maximum zoom of the 22HQ02, which was using the image of the 22GIANT1 , one called Tall HQ, so i removed the image there too. still not solved

I also had a .SPR of an old image i removed because i didn't like the look. but the .SPR was still present, so i removed it, but still not goot.

I will find out and solve the problem. It may be a mistake like pixel in the corner of an image. I know it's some apartment after number 40. There is not much more after that :)
Pietro
Mod Contributor
Mod Contributor

Post by Pietro »

I'm sorry to come up again with yet another problem.

I think you are correct when you say the previous error was not caused by having too many building column, i have received confirmation because when you have too many building column to display on the screen, then the error is this one ( i think) :
otherprob.jpg
otherprob.jpg (434.12 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
I started to test which building was the faulty building, the one too tall. so i took my list of 37 apartment that was ok, and started to add some of them back and tested if the error was occuring. There was no error until there was 41 apartment. But then the error was not the error for building too tall. It was a new error. The one i put the picture. To make sure i removed building 38 39 40 41 and replace them all with copy of building 37. Because i know there was no error up to building 37. The new error "gabuf.cpp" is occuring. Not the previous error PngDisp.cpp.

This error happens when you click on the building menu for apartment. Not when you launch the game. It is also why i think this time it is related to my previous hypothesis of too many building column.

I will continue to test for building too tall and make sure to no put 40+ different apartment :)
David

Post by David »

Please send me the latest version of your MOD with 40+ apartments and their image sizes within the 1024x768 limit. I will then ask the programmer to fix the bug when displaying 40+ apartments on the build menu.