DRM ?

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
Luny

Re: DRM ?

Post by Luny »

While I agree that people have a choice to either accept the drm and buy the game or not, I also think that those who are unhappy with the drm have a right to voice their opinion. I would like to believe that an organisation that genuinely cares about its customers would sometimes listen to their views.

Personally, I do not like games with DRM. This doesn't mean that I won't buy a game with DRM, but so far I have tended to only buy such games if they are deeply discounted (such as special offers on Steam). I consider myself to be an 'old school' gamer and perhaps many of us are stuck in our ways with regard to DRM - it's just a matter of principle. This is the reason why I haven't bought games such as Diablo III and the new Sim City, despite being a big fan of Diablo I and II and Sim City, Sim City 2000 etc.

I know many others share this view, which is why sites like GOG.com are quite popular. It is becasue of GOG that I have tried games like Torchlight, Legend of Grimrock and the Witcher, which I don't think I otherwise would had they had DRM protection. Fortunately for me, I haven't played Capitalism II yet, because back in the day there were so many great games to choose from, I was spoilt for choice. However, it's on offer on GOG this weekend and I've decided to get it - DRM free.

I came across Capitalism Lab completely by accident from browsing the net for information on Capitalism II. It made me wonder why they didn't release the game DRM free on a site like GOG? I think DRM will put off a lot of the original fan base from purchasing.
Silverhawk

Post by Silverhawk »

I can understand that publishers want to protect their games against piracy but in my opinion DRM is not the right way. As I can see in google the game is already cracked by COGENT. So there is no effect against pirates. If they want to pirate the game, they are always able to do it. I also think that the game won't be pirated so much, because it's not a casual game and such casual gamer will probably download it, play it a bit, don't get the hang of it and deinstall it. It's also not said that people who pirate the game would buy it if there is no other possibility. So it's not approved that publishers earn more money when they use a DRM. True fans will always buy the game. The only effect of such a DRM is struggeling regular customers which paid for the game with restrictions pirates don't have and cutting of potential customers. It also makes me think that publishers only see the evil in their customers in nowadays and brand them with DRM as potential pirates. Selling a product also needs an observation of the customers psychology.
SepticSheepherder

Post by SepticSheepherder »

Why does it say in System Requirements that "an internet connection" is required?

1. What does this mean?
2. What kind of internet connection speed is necassary?
3. One-time connection or Always-online?

If it is a one-time connection for verification and then you can play offline for as long as you want like steam then
I will purchase this game.
Profa
Level 2 user

Post by Profa »

First of all I would like to say that old Capitalism 2 was a great game.I must confess that I also tested pirated version of Lab,
evidence that DRM is not very usefull for protection.On the other side it does affect players who legally bought game, which means that sadly for me, I will not buy this wonderfull game, unless DRM issue is resolved.I will give a few examples why DRM is bad solution:
Internet connection requirement means that you cant play it on trips or vacations, which is period when i have most free time to play.
Today most of the people have desktop computer for everyday use, and laptop for mobile use.DRM means that I must choose where i CAN'T PLAY.
As someone mentioned before it is not possible to transfer saved games, which is also great disadvantage.What if I have to reinstall Windows, does that means I can't continue saved game?
What about dependencies on Enlight servers?They could go down, or company can get into troubles.This means game will not be playable?

In the end C2 Lab is also great game with good perspective, but DRM is just step back, as it will not stop pirates, will only affect regular players.
kgbvn

Post by kgbvn »

I was going to buy a copy of the Lab version but found this topic and decided to postpone the purchase until some things are clarified. Sorry if they were already written somewhere, I simply could not find them.

So my questions are:
  • How does the authentication work? Based on the user name, serial key or else?
  • Which port does it use to authenticate? My network has layers of stupid firewall, only common ports are open.
greewoch
Level 2 user

Post by greewoch »

authentication is like this. And so if you enable "remember password", you just press "login" and that's all, nothing like origin or something annoying.

while you play your game, if you lose your connection;
1- if your connection comes back in 1 hour; you wont even notice anything
2- after 1 hour, if you are still offline, your game will be autosaved and game will be closed.

-
as for ports I'm clueless, but I didnt see any complaints till now.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

"2- after 1 hour, if you are still offline, your game will be autosaved and game will be closed."

I would like to add that you could restart CapLab immediately after its closing and you could load the autosave game to play for another hour, if you are still offline. And there is no limit to the number of times you could restart CapLab while you are offline.

We also have 48 hours money back guarantee. So if your firewall does not work with CapLab and it cannot be remedied by adjusting the settings of your firewall, you could request for a full refund.
TondaLee

Post by TondaLee »

Hi,
im new here and i have similar story as many person there.

All my games and software are legal. I bought them on Steam or Gamers Gate. I spend a lot of money for them.
All game i have i can play offline, without DRM (Steam is not DRM from my opinion, it has offline mode, just for information :)) Its good, because i have main computer and laptop.
So i can install it in both of my computers how many times i like.... Its nice. Just bougth an play...... Good idea...not?

I dont have time to spend for solving DRM isue. I would like to buy game and just play. Without creating account and other sh*. Waiting 6month, or looking to my watch for 1 hour in offline mode ... What t***ck
Of course, i can buy this game and after that i can install crack on it. But why?!?

Im not cryminals, i earn good money and im would like to spend it for fun.....

have i nice day,
Tony.

PS. maybe its normal and im just crayzy
PS2. sorry for my english
ruff

Post by ruff »

I was so excited when I realized there is something new about the Capitalism game. Look, I really love you for working on it, because nowadays there are simply no such games. But, oh boy, are you doing it wrong! I would buy it for supporting 1080 alone, but the DRM I read about is beyond ridiculous. Also I really don't understand how can I buy just Capitalism Lab, there are only some useless bundles?!

Please, please, please, before you stop development and shut the auth server for lack of sales, remove the always online and activation, put the game on Steam/GOG at a reasonable price and see how it goes.
T.D.

Post by T.D. »

I was surprised and happy when I found out about the Capitalism Lab just couple of hours ago. Had the finger on the trigger, but then decided to check this thread... I think I'll wait a bit longer after all. I will share opinion on some of the earlier posts.

1. Minecraft
As somebody said, I checked the pirated copy, because of unknown developer. I bought the copy next day. I've done similar with quite a few other games. One of them was Galactic Civ II, for example, no DRM at all but I still bought it.

2. Capitalism Lab
The developer of this game is also unknown to me (well, not that much developer, but whoever is behind it financially). I think that's very important when the game can potentially become unplayable over the night. Capitalism II was released by Ubisoft, big company. I actually bought the boxed copy of the game, back in 2001. I loved playing it, but after few years I found out two bugs that made the game pretty much unplayable (there were two production chains that were giving too much money). I saw that I had latest patch, but the game support was down, no more patches were coming. There were no unofficial patches for the problem, I was receiving no help from Ubisoft, I tried to fix the problem myself somehow, but no success. So I put the game away. I threw the box away only last year, when I was moving out of an apartment. I don't want same thing to happen with Capitalism Lab. Those servers can go down any time.

3. Buying DRM games
I do buy DRM games sometimes. One of the games mentioned here was Anno 2070. I decided to test cracked version. I liked the gameplay. Still I wanted to get the original game, but the DRM on that game was just terrible. After many complaints Ubisoft decided to ease the DRM. It does require online connection for certain features, but it works fine offline. So I bought the game with every single DLC. So in general I am not saying that I would never buy a game with online DRM, because I own a few of them. But it sure makes decision harder. One of the factors in the decision to buy Anno 2070 was also size of the publishing company and structure of the game, which allows long developing cycle through DLC's. So I trust that I will be able to play the game for many years. If not, I hope there will be some cracks after the servers get shut down. Capitalism Lab? I really want to buy the game and support further development. But backwards DRM is an issue.

Whoever wants to play a game, will play the game. Make it easier for those who want to pay, David. I haven't checked if there are any working cracked versions of the game, but if not, there will be. Won't it feel weird then, if pirates will be able to play the game very conveniently and legal owners will have problems? It's not fair, so please reconsider. I have backed tons of kickstarter games as well, including Project Eternity, Wasteland II and the newest record holder, Torment. With 4x donation than the game actually costs. I have also worked in a game development company for 7 years, we sold millions of copies, but never had such a DRM, even if our estimation was that 90% of all players of our game played a pirated version.

Bottom line: don't punish legitimate owners.