Billionaire's Passion: Space DLC

Suggestions for new DLC projects.
philippmad

Billionaire's Passion: Space DLC

Post by philippmad »

I'd love to see a "SPACE DLC" where you can research, produce and sell/launch (commercial/cargo) rockets and (telecom/other) satellites. a new challenge for billionaires later in the game ;-) extremely R&D intense, extremely capital-intense and extremely complex in terms of production - which means incredibly high barriers to entry, but: extremely rewarding if done right (and first!). government could act as a client.

I'm seeing the following:
- a subsidiary with a minimum funding of 100bn
- the necessity of a CTO with space expertise (ultra-high salary, few in the game maybe with built in expectations about your reputation)
- basic technology research necessary first, product invention only via radical R&D with possible failure (product improvement then via traditional R&D)
- 7 components necessary to fabricate 1 rocket/satellite (so 1 full layout plan with 7 purchase units, 1 manufacturing unit and 1 sales unit)
- each component itself complex in its production, maybe including rare materials
- they are "sold" (= launched) via space stations that are costly to build (2bn+) and run
- space station contains purchase units (get rockets/satellites from factory), optional assembly units (to load satellites to rockets) and launch units (= sales). maybe also lobbying (= advertising)

if the DLC should be more connected to the rest of the economy, satellites could serve as input for "satellite internet", "satellite telecom", "GPS services" and others that can be converted into contracts and sold in business stores.

at the end of the day if one on the challenge, the financial rewards in this DLC should be extraordinary!

what do you think?
Pietro
Mod Contributor
Mod Contributor

Re: Billionaire's Passion: Space DLC

Post by Pietro »

There was some of the ideas you mentionned in this mod i played with a few years ago viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3046 it doesn't require DLC.

Unfortunatly the game doesn't allow receipes with more than 3 Inputs, or more than 1 output so one has to be creative and do research for how it would make sense to modelize things, the mod does a good job at it i found, check out the "aerospace".

It is difficult to make a DLC that propose a business model in a game that is unclear in real life, i found a little similarities with city economic DLC and what is the role of politics, what levers of action does it have in a "capitalism" game since there is quite the debate on the topic amongst those that think their opinion matters :) The first satelites were not product of capitalists, and for long time it was not seen as a way to make money but rather a goal to pursue even if it cost money, like weapon trade was seen as a necessity for safety before being seen as a way to make money as such there exist many public/nationnal space program that people around the world are very proud of, even in the country of SpaceX people like the Nasa which is not a private compay :).