A few suggestions from a new user

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
mariodonick

A few suggestions from a new user

Post by mariodonick »

Hi,

I purchased CL a few days ago - simply because I wanted to play a nice economic simulation that runs on my old laptop :)

So far I had a good time. I'm not the biggest fan of real-world capitalism as it is currently "implemented" in our socities, but the game is definitely enjoyable and even helps to understand a few core concepts better. Also, it's cool that such an old game is still enhanced and developed.

Here are just a few suggestions:
  • The website is a bit outdated. Esp. the Banking DLC is nowhere to be seen if you don't know its URL. I think it should be integrated to the website like all the other DLCs. I stumbled upon it only by accident in the game itself. I later saw that the game launcher (a browser apparently) also mentions it, but since it is hidden behind the login window, one can't read or click it.
  • When I bought the game, the download link led me to download version 8.x - only later in the forum I discovered that we are already at version 9! It would be great if the website always shows which version is current. Not just for convenience, but also for marketing purposes.
  • A PDF variant of all the single web pages explaining the new features would be handy.
  • I like very much the Digital Age DLC, and we can run media companies. However, I was a bit disappointed that we have basically no influence on media besides setting the budget for content creation. Esp. in combination with political parties it would be great to have a medium support a specific party, or a political party to even found a media company. It would also be nice if News websites would count as media as well (i.e. could be selecting for advertising). So in general a bit more influence and integration would be nice.
  • It takes a bit to understand what political parties actually do and how to use them. I only saw by accident that when I am mayor, I have a lot of additional option in the city. I was a bit disappointed though that there are no political parties opposed against capitalism. Things like a green party, or even an economic-left party, demonstrations by unhappy people, critical media, etc. trying to interrupt this "ideal" capitalist dream (which the game portrays) would spice up the game and pose a different kind of challenge (and, by the way, make the simulation fit better with the real world).
Thanks for reading and keep up the good work!
matadrox
Level 2 user

Re: A few suggestions from a new user

Post by matadrox »

Personally, I don't quite agree with the idea of simulating party opponents. This kind of thing has been included in other games geared toward political simulations. Here we are supposed to focus on trade. Uninterrupted trade, not counting trade competition, of course.